Default Project Sand Eel

I need some input here guys . How long should a sand eel lure be . Presently I was thinking around 7 or 8 inches . Having never seen one I have no idea . Do you put stinger hooks in the body attached to the jig head . I was able to trade for a mold to make the eel body and was wondering if it would be better to go with a sliding head like a worm weight or a jig head style . Decisions decisions . Any input from you saltwater fishermen will be greatly appreciated .
    You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

Hey Toad...In my opinion, I think 5in is the go to size...Sand eels generally don't get bigger than that. Once you get into the 8in size, your basically using an Eel. I've used Gulp Sand Eels (5in) with good success...Rigging is pretty simple...with that size no need for a stinger hook. I use a plain or painted jig head or bucktail style jig. Sometime I use a drift rig, hook can vary depending on what i'm fishing for, on a 2-3 ft leader, attached to a 3 way swivel with a bank sinker with enough weight to hold bottom...and that is very effective as well.

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

I should get the necessary molds together by Thursday. Shortly after that I'll post a pic . After we pic it over some I'm gonna need you to find out if it works . Ain't no salt water in these'n hare hills .
    You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.

Default As Promised

First attempt at a sand eel . The head is 5/8ths . contains a ball bearing swivel to compensate for fish that like to roll . The body is round and tapers back to a flat tail . Hook placement is farther back for a better hook set . An inline blade that spins on the fall as well as a retrieve . So hows that for a land locked lubber like me .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

Looks great Toad! No one would ever know that you were a land lubber! LOL I really dig the inline blade and ball bearing swivel. That should give it an advantage over other soft plastic sand eels and gives you plenty of rigging options. Do you plan on making more with other colors? If I may suggest, I'd stay with natural colors. My personal experience, I've always had more hook ups with soft plastics that were as close to in color as the real thing...at least in the salt anyways. Anyways...looks good and great job!

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

If you can do it i would make it a floater with a weighted head it would look more natural skimming along the bottom.
    Boatless Fisherman
    There is a reason it's called fishing and not catching.
    I have to admit that I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    I,m a man and I can do anything I want, I want to go fishing!! (is that ok with you dear?)

so how it comeing with your project have i not bin keeping up with things here
    cityfisherman

Actually I haven't been to active myself . But I can do the eel so that the body will float about three inches off the bottom at the tip of the tail . Don't have an ocean to see if it works any better .LOL I've got so many irons in the fire I'm like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs . Sad part is it's keeping me out of the shop .

i can relate things happen
    cityfisherman

Hey Toad, I'm using your plastics exclusively now. Love those Snakehead Lizards and your crayfish plastics.
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~