+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

Default Baitwell/Livewell care

Hey everyone...Been busy getting the boat ready hopefully for a weekend launch. As I was going over my homemade baitwell...I was thinking what can I do to make do with what I have and not get a bigger cooler. As most of you know...deck space on a boat is very precious. So I did a little research and found that a good additive to add to your bait/livewell is HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. As you guys know from chemistry/science class, water is made up of H2O. Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2, which has that extra oxygen molecule. Oxygen is very important in keeping your bait healthy. There are a few products on the market that are specifically made for your bait/livewell like SURE LIFE, but they can be costly. So keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on board your boat, add just a cap full or teaspoon full to the well and you should be good to. Same goes with the guys with the bait buckets...maybe just a cap full. You don't want to add too much...because that will kill your bait/fish. Always check on your bait well every 30 to 45 mins..even if your running an aerator...make sure the water temp hasn't changed, even add fresh water to the well. That should keep your bait alive and frisky for your time fishing. Happy Bait everyone!
    Last edited by barresi; 04-03-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

Larry

Cool

That is a great tip Vito...I have heard of those tournament guyz doing that...to keep from weighing in dead fish. I never thought of using it in my little minnow bucket...I will give it a try.

Yep, I've used H2O2 for years in my livewell/baitwell. I made a post here on 2-16-11 in the General Freshwater Fishing forum about it. Click the "search" button, then type "hydrogen peroxide".
    Last edited by bass or bass?; 04-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

During the summer when in it gets really hot I will put ice out of my drink cooler in my minnow bucket and have also put it in the live well in my boat ( it is very small). Seems to help keep some. I'm gonna try the peroxide. What is the blue stuff that is in the plastic bags when you buy minnows. Not everyone that I've bought minnows from uses it, but that really works good.

Bronze Member

very interesting i like it

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

Ice is s good tip as well for those hot summer days...another good idea is to freeze one or two water bottles and leave them in the bait well.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

+ Reply to Thread