Larry

Cool Ribbontail Worms

I read a piece in Bassmaster magazine this month that said the ribbontail worm was making a comeback. Hmm...I never knew it went away! Truthfully though, many anglers have opted for straight-tail worms lately, but I still reach for a ribbontail most of the time. Two of my favorites are the Yum Ribbontail and the Toadfrog Snakeworm.

Seems like people forget get how good some lures and tactics were. They move on to the next best, new, latest thing. I mean I get how some lakes, with heavy pressure, can make some lures and tactics slack off. But ya figure, depending on where ya live, after a few years theres a whole new batch of fish that never saw those lures and tactics hahaha. I dunno

and that is why i never get rid of any lures, except when a wandering tree happens to grab one

Like you mo I never stopped using them in fact when I looked in my tackle box I had more bags of them than anything else. Mostly use Berkley power worms in motor oil, black, and my favorite blue fleck.

fish magnet

Ribbon-tail worms are a staple for me too! I've probably caught more bass on them than any other lure.
    I've been buying them from Barlow's for quite a few years. Great quality and the price is right!

Tom
    There are no magic lures, and the fish don't care what you paid for your gear.

Halfa

I remember when the 7.5 " red shad culprit was the king in my neck of the woods. still have 100's of them but stopped using them. went with the new stuff. Now that you mention it mo, I may have to just start trying them again.

I like either a lizard or a ribbon tail worm on a Carolina rig.
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

I've always used a ribbon tail worm ,,yum ,and Berkeley, ,the only time I use a staight tail is on a shaky head jig

Thumbs up

I have a LOT of those Toadfrog Snakehead ribbontail worms and lizards. They are my favorites hands down!
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

Smile Great for beginners too

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    ...I never knew it went away!
    I love these things for when the fish are active and I have someone in the boat that doesn't normally fish. I hand them a spinning or spin cast combo, put them on a regular old ball head jig (light wire hook) and show them how to push the worm onto it where it sits flat (hook exposed). They''ll throw it along the bank and around docks and such. They'll swim it along and bounce it on the bottom and just catch a bunch of fish! due to our clear drinking water lakes my fav for this approach is the Watermelon Seed U-Tail.

You are correct in that they'll get it hung up every now or then but I figure they'd do that no matter what I gave them to throw. It's all part of the game.
    ?The creative adult is the child who survived.? Ursula K. Le Guin