+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid for TEETH

Default Braid for TEETH

All,This will be my 1st attempt at fishing with braided line this season.I'm looking for some insight on which one to consider when I buy.I'm going to rig 2 of my heavier rigs
    with it,and of course will target those species with TEETH and bad attitudes. Any
    guys out here with some Pike and Musky under their belt using braid,have any suggestions or advice as to which line to work with?? Theres a ton of 'em,and have read a ton of reviews both good and bad.I appreciate any and all info you'd care to share.Thanks folks
    Dan/DRMead

Executive Administrator/Owner PaJNS's Avatar

One of Our Sponsors sells a quality Braid...here is the link to the website to read more.....http://www.finsfishing.com/
    I NEVER lied about the size of the Fish I caught....I just remember them being BIGGER!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and....HE WILL STEAL YOUR FAVORITE SPOT."

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Outdoor-Fishing THE Place To Talk Fishing and a Great Place To Be. Spread the Word!!
    Spread the WORD!!

Find more about Weather in Butler, PA
    Click for weather forecast

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

DRMead...I'm not a Pike or Musky fishermen, but I do deal with fish with teeth and I use/sport braid..religiously.. I favor Power Pro braid. I use all different pound test, mainly 30lb for my inshore needs. Whatever braid or super line you choose, just remember when fishing for critters with teeth, your leader is going to save you, not your line...braid, mono or fluro...teeth will bite right through it. When I know Bluefish are thick in the mix..I use a nylon coated steel leader. That's something you should consider or a heavier flurocarbon leader. Good luck...and sport that braid!

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

Guys,Thanks for the flips. 1st. I've already started to gather some goodies for the upcoming season.Leader(s) were at the top of the list. Another question,while i'm thinkin about it,when one spools their reel,do you use mono as backer?? or do you load the whole reel with the braid?? Is using backer a preference or a general rule??
    Dan/DRMead

Halfa

Hey Dan, you can mention Pickerel. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by water wolverine View Post
    Hey Dan, you can mention Pickerel. LOL
    Terry,Picks' will always have honorable mention in my posts my friend!! LOL
    hope to get over your way and fish for a few of 'em this year.....................
    if ya' don't mind of course.
    Dan/DRMead

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

As a general rule..yes. Use mono for backing so the braid doesn't slip or dig into itself. A lot of the newer reels on the market are called "braid ready" so you can spool it full of braid without any backing...BUT...You also back the reel with mono so it fills the reel. Braid having a thinner diameter, you will need 300 yds to fill one reel...so if you use mono backing, you can buy a 300yd spool and fill 2 reels with braid (using mono backing). You will hardly ever need 300yds of braid on one spool, unless your fishing for big game ocean fish.

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

Larry

Cool

Many musky fishermen still prefer mono for trolling and crankbaiting...where mono's stretch aids in hookups. Braid is gaining popularity in the topwater department though, but check your knots well if you're new to braid. It will tell on you quick!

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php
    here's another neat tool for tying knots.Plenty of 'em to keep your line in order.
    Thanks Mo for the post above !!!
    Dan/DRMead

Using braid, the palomar will be your best knot. Use backing for 2 reasons: 1) as a filler, 2) to keep braid from slipping if not tying directly to a spool with holes to tie to. I use a filler for my reels due to I dont need 150 yds of line on my reels. I will only fill about 50-70yds of braid on, and back the rest with YoZuri 12#. I like the YoZuri due to its cheap and strong. I will tie the braid to the backing with a line to line knot, I use an Albright style knot, and then reel the braid on. As for the brand of braid, Power Pro.
    My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time. Lordy, how I will miss her. <")))><{

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast