Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Larry

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by barresi View Post
    Don't believe Wikipedia Mo, anyone can contribute to it..but seriously Blackfish, Seabass and Porgies are 3 different fish..when I get home, I'll post pics of all 3. And all of them have NO physical similarities., except they live in salt water
    Are you serious? Any lamebrain can contribute? What if some poor kid used that garbage in his school report? I'm new to all of this, just got a computer last year...I still have 8-track tapes. They need to take that crap off the internet, when I was a kid my parents encyclopedia set was a treasure trove of information. Whatever it said, you could take it to the bank!

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

Hey guys, sorry I'm late in replying, Ive been busy with work. So here they are: 1st pic is a Porgy, also known as Scup. 2nd pic is a Sea Bass and 3rd pic is a Blackfish also known as Tautog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

LOL..yes Mo...any old lamebrain can contribute to wikipedia...there was something in the works, where if you were to submit something to wiki, it was or is supposed to be verified, but I'm uncertain if that is in effect. For the most part, MOST of the information is reliable.

Larry

Cool

Unbelievable! Even Mr. Magoo could see those three fish are entirely different. Thanks Vito!

JoeW

Yup--- What wifey and I were catching on our honeymoon were the ones in the middle- Sea Bass! We also fished off a jetty and were catching Porgie. Sort of like the BlueGills of SW? Didn't like those giant bloodworms (?) the guy sold us for bait--- especially the part about cutting them into pieces! Thanks for straightening everything out here! Wish someone would straighten out ALL the confusion with fish common names! Best----- JoeW

Ya know-- my Biology teacher instincts just kicked in! Biologists HAVE straightened all the confusion by giving things different genus/species! And all three of those above fish do have different ones! Means they ARE different fish no matter what they're common names are! BUT--- if fishermen started using the scientific names, who would understand you if you said "Yep- I got a bunch of Micropterus dolemieu and a couple Esox lucius today? What?
    Last edited by JoeW; 12-19-2011 at 10:56 AM.

LOL, imagine saying "that's a nice Pagrus-pagrus you got there Bob!" LOL

Porgies are fun to fish for...When your right over them...it's non stop action..It's great fishing for children as well...The best bait to use for Porgies is clams. Cut the clams in strips and your good to go!. Same applies for Sea bass, only use bigger strips of clam. As for Black fish, Green crabs are the way to go...You can also use Fiddler crabs and Asian crabs, but they are hard to come by in the bait shops.

JoeW

Maybe you know, baressi, or someone else! there's a famous broadway musical or show called "Porgy and Bess" about two people in love or something. Ever hear of it? Is that a take off on "Porgies and Bass"? That's always made me wonder. Best---- JhoeW

Its a love story two poor southern blacks that fall in love Porgy was the mans name Bess was the woman.
    Boatless Fisherman
    There is a reason it's called fishing and not catching.
    I have to admit that I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    I,m a man and I can do anything I want, I want to go fishing!! (is that ok with you dear?)

nice black fish they are some good eats
    cityfisherman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast