Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

Default Cast Netting 101

Hey everyone...I figure I make this post because this has become a big part of my fishing this last season and will play a bigger part of next season.
    Having fresh bait and live bait is a big part of most saltwater fishing and some freshwater fishing...you cat fish fishermen know what I'm talking about. It can make the difference of a good day or an extraordinary day of fishing. Very few bait shops sell live bait and you never know how fresh there frozen bait is. The only way to get the freshest bait is to get it yourself. Learning to throw a cast net is easy, mastering it can take forever.
    In cast nets there usually is not a best one net. But in selecting a net you must consider the size bait or fish you are going after, the depth of water, the weather conditions, your own cast net throwing abilities. Usually you will start by selecting a cast net with the mesh size you want. This will be based on the size bait and/or fish you are trying to net. Always remember that the smaller the mesh the more you will likely catch. But go too small and you may catch sizes you don’t want. You will also want to make sure that the mesh size you pick is small enough so not to gill the bait or fish you are after. As I am sure you may know, gilled bait will damage and likely kill your catch.
    Choosing the size of your net is one of the hardest decisions you will make. The general rule is that you want to have the largest net that you can comfortably throw. This will give you the best results per throw. Beginners should start out with an 8ft (16ft radius) or smaller net.
    Cast nets are generally offered with different amount of weights per radius foot. Typically they are offered in 3/4 lb, 1 lb and 1.5 lbs per radius foot. Remember this is the amount of weights added to the perimeter of the net. The entire net will weigh more. For example a 6 ft radius cast net with 1 lb per foot will have a gross weight of 8 to 9 lbs. The weight you chose will depend on the depth of water, the type bait and your ability to throw a cast net. Heavier nets are harder to throw but generally will catch more bait. But in shallow water the heavier nets may not produce that much more and will take more energy.
    So now after you have made your decision on what net to use, you now have to learn how to throw it. Now the fun begins, or frustration...There are many different ways to throw a cast net as there are net manufacturers. I found 2 different ways to throw a net and practiced. I practiced over the winter so come spring, I would hopefully be ready...One day I was out there for about 5 hours...but all that practice has paid off...I netted some much Bunker one day, I couldn't get it into the boat!
    Here are two of my favorite videos which I learned from.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clsO_8D8iiU"]100 0035 - YouTube[/ame]
    and this one...a one handed throw
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8D9ogjqr0"]How to throw a Cast Net - easiest, most simple way. - YouTube[/ame]

And remember to check your local regs if cast netting is legal in your area!
    Last edited by barresi; 11-30-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

On our Arizona lakes, fresh caught shad is undoubtedly the best bait. My partner uses a cast net, but doesn't have the technique down. Now I'll get my own net and give him a lesson! Thanks Vito!
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

I have been using a cast net to get shiners in the spring and preserve them for perch fishing.

And get more for the bait tank when heading out for perch.

The net pays for itself the first trip out.
    The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldiers' last breath blows by it! Thank a Vet!

I picked one up last summer for alewife, for steelhead. the only other way to catch them is to snag em. Let me tell you, best recent fishing investment. I caught enough alewife for the whole pier!

i have a 3 ft. that i carry in the truck. we use it for baitcasting or shrimping. am going to get a 5 ft. for even more fun
    the 3 will then be relegated to he kayak

5' diameter is the maximum size allowed in Arizona.
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

Default Cast nets

You can't much use them in Pa. in fresh water. I think only in a few lakes ,Raystown is one. I have two 4 ft. with different mesh sizes.

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer barresi's Avatar

This is a re-edit...Black Pearl Cast Net...One handed chunk...this is how you get bait!

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing

Executive Administrator/Owner PaJNS's Avatar

Bumping this up. GOOD post by Vito B, and shows results in last Video.
    I NEVER lied about the size of the Fish I caught....I just remember them being BIGGER!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and....HE WILL STEAL YOUR FAVORITE SPOT."

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Outdoor-Fishing THE Place To Talk Fishing and a Great Place To Be. Spread the Word!!
    Spread the WORD!!

Find more about Weather in Butler, PA
    Click for weather forecast

Them black pearls are awesome nets if ya got the change. I remember growing up in FL if you were going fishing you had your net at all times haha. I always used my teeth but i really like that 2nd video. Up here in PA its torture. I think 10 or so lakes you can use a cast net. You need to carry a $10 permit, for each specific lake your netting in, with you while netting. 10 ft net is max at all lakes an has to be 5/8 inch mesh or larger, except Erie for the emeralds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast