Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pfd

Exclamation

I'm wearing a mesh top pfd in my avatar photo. BPS and Cabela's both sell their own brands and they are available from West Marine and many other sources. Mine cost @ $50.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~G.O.A.~

This is a blurb from one of the organizations I do photography for and write for.

"Side note from the Northern Divisional this week - Would like to give a moment of extreme gratitude to Gary Adkins and Josh Pratt for saving the lives of two other competitors today who fell out of their boats today...one got swept under a log jam and the other fell in the lock and was getting swept down....Two near tragic incidents avoided today b/c of their bravery."

Just a reminder of how important it is to wear your life jacket. These guys are all professional fishermen in the middle of a tournament and it only took a second to lose control of their boat. Apparently, they hit an underwater snag and were knocked out of the boat while they were fishing. I don't have anymore details than that at this point; and not sure if I'm interested in pursing the story past this.
    Last edited by CRA; 08-11-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Halfa

the rules here in PA are you dont jave to wear em if you are over the age of 12. I have a 13 and 16 yr old. I havent told them they do not have to wear them I just tell them it is mandatory by the Fish and Boat Commission... and also explain to them them the hazards and tragedies that happen and can happen. This is a Great Thread.

PFD's are like seat belts; uncomfortable at all times, but once you get used of wearing them, you forget they are there. There are some fairly comfortable vests out there these days, so buy one and wear it, especially around the kids. Teach them an important lesson while staying safe.

Wanted to bring this one back to add a point ! I have overlooked and probably some of you guys ! I often take people that have never been on a boat or very seldom are on a boat and new to your boat ! PFDs should have the straps adjusted to each individual on your boat instead of stowed away just to comply with boat regs as they won't work if they are not being worn so if you like them enough to have them on your boat! Like them enough to take the time and fit them properly with a PFD!
    Most of my lures catch more fishermen than fish !!!

Fishing is God's way of saying he loves us!

Wishing I was Fishing

Right on dugger! The rules on my boat are this; when the big motor is running, all occupants are wearing a PFD! Period!. I have 4 of the mesh top PFDs I've described in 3 sizes. Don't want to wear it? Fish with someone else!!
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~G.O.A.~

Pfd's are a must for everyone as far as I am concerned, lost a friend a few years ago because he did not have his on while by himself. You just have to try them on and find one that is comfortable and lets you move around, also be sure to check the rating and make sure it will support you for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowTempest View Post
    I agree, I have a pfd I just hate, it's so uncomfortable in the kayak. I'll find myself taking it off after about 15 minutes of paddling.

I'll be looking at the mesh and also inflatables you guys talked about hopefully they'll work for me

I don't know that you would like a mesh top pfd for use in a kayak. They take the floatation that would normally be in the shoulders and move it to the front and back of the pfd. This makes the pfd thicker and more uncomfortable if you sit in a seat that has a back. I would try one out before I bought it.
    Take Care and God Bless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12