Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pfd

Default Pfd

Always wear your pfd. On my boat, if the big motor is running, pfd's are on. Anchored or on the trolling motor, I usually remove it. When I fire up the big motor to move, the pfd gets put on again. This rule applies to anybody in the boat. Kids wear theirs at all times.

That's a smart idea to wear them... but if you don't wear them, at least keep them in a boat in case of an emergency... the wildlife officers always give tickets to those people that do not have PFD's in their boat.

If you know how to swim, that's not an excuse to not wear a life jacket!

I totally agree with you BASS OR BASS?

In my area there has been many accidents where people drowned because they did not wear them. Most of those accidents are in the spring. Storms, Rocks, wind can flip and destroy a boat. I had times where I would go out on the water on a good day and the wind would hit. 15 mins later the winds are up to 20 mph.
    Last edited by RAK; 09-30-2010 at 07:51 PM.

My wife is a Coroner and has had too many drownings where the life jackets were neatly stored. Even when the boat was up side down.
    My advise is to find one that is comfy or one of the new self inflating ones and wear it all the time.
    Alan.

The ones I have in my boat are mesh tops with flotation panels front and rear. Very comfortable and breathable due to the mesh. This is Arizona and the temps can easily be 115 during the day in summer, and it is no more uncomfortable with or without these pfd's on.

Someone posted on one of the other sites where I'm a member about wearing your pfd when fishing alone in case of death and falling in the water so that your body can be found easily. This is a very good point as I know of at least two instances locally of a fisherman slipping off the side of the boat, hitting his head, and drowning while trying to urinate over the side of the boat. Personally, I keep a 20 ounce plastic beer mug in my boat for this purpose, then empty it in the water and rinse it out before re-storing it. Several days ago here in Phoenix, an experienced scuba diver, while diving the wrecked old dam at Lake Pleasant, never surfaced with his diving buddies. The sheriff's office called off the search for his body today. This family may never find the body of their loved one.
    Be careful, think ahead, DON'T try to stand on the edge of your boat! Think of the anguish your family could be subjected to. Wear your pfd!
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~G.O.A.~

http://www.shut-up-and-fish.com/life...ge_per_row=100

If you are looking to buy let me know if you see something of interest and shoot me a PM and I can shoot you a quote below the price on the site if applicable....

David @ shut-up-and-fish
    I have a wide selection of marine electronics... Humminbird, Lowrance, Minn Kota and Motorguide Trolling Motors/Talon',
    HydroWave, Navionics, LakeMaster, along with Boating accessories and much, much more. 972-822-9285
    www.shut-up-and-fish.com

you should have your PFD on at all times, even if the big motor isn't running. It's not so much your driving, it's the other guy's.

About two weeks ago I witness a boat Tbone a stationary boat. He was driving in the hole and didn't see them. Fortunately, the only injury was someone that had bruised ribs. I paddled over and lent a hand by assisting people from the boat that got hit and in poor condition to the colliding boat. Could have gone another way.

Another recent incident in La Crosse, where a boater's anchor caught a rock and it tipped the boat enough to take water. I've seen this enough times with canoes and kayaks, but never a boat. He was lucky a DNR was in the area and saw his equipment floating down river. He radio'd it in and performed the rescue.

The last circumstance I want to provide for your consideration: according to a DNR report I recently saw, there is a number of male boating fatalities where the individual was found with the pants zipper down. Sounds like the start of a bad joke, but the theory behind this is that men are going to the bathroom off the side of the boat and get rocked out.

I agree, I have a pfd I just hate, it's so uncomfortable in the kayak. I'll find myself taking it off after about 15 minutes of paddling.

I'll be looking at the mesh and also inflatables you guys talked about hopefully they'll work for me
    Fill the sky full of holes ---------->
    After doing some major fishing of course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast