Exclamation Ice Fishing Guidelines!

With the Winter season coming up and looking back at lasts years unfortunate lack of ice, I just want to take the time to discuss safe ice fishing conditions. Remember everyone, it may be super cold outside, but the ice might not always be super safe. Always take into account the recommended thicknesses. 2inchs or less, stay away. 3 1/2 inches, be wary and check thickness often. 4+ inches, safe for walking, but still be wary and check your thickness every so often. 5-8 inches, snowmobiles and walking. 8-12 inches snowmobiles, small cars, and walking. 12-15+ inches, anything up to medium sized pickups.
    Always be on the lookout for unsafe ice thickness and if you find any, don't be shy to tell others! You could just save a life.
    Also, remember, it's very cold outside! Dress in several layers and stay warm, particularly if you're like me and don't use a shanty and just sit on a bucket. Just because you're sure you won't fall through the ice doesn't mean you cannot get hypothermia or pneumonia. You can never be too careful when out in conditions below 32 degrees, I'd rather be sweating bullets out on the ice than catch something that would make me miserable. Take precautions this winter and be safe, always think twice before making a decision, and you're sure to not have any problems. Tight lines!
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/w4kfr.jpg[/IMG]

k'az'r

Good post Troyfish.
    Safety first.

Here's a 2 part ice safety vid. that shows how to get out if you go in...
    part 1: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA[/ame]
    and what to do once you're out...
    part 2: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBVWrqvkEg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBVWrqvkEg&feature=related[/ame]

good stuff to always keep in mind...most important to remember: don't panic.

You can NOT get me on the ice for any reason or for any amount of money! They need a little chicken icon here!
    Fill the sky full of holes ---------->
    After doing some major fishing of course

2 guys rescued at 1 lake near here yesterday. 1 guy went in Monday, body recovered yesterday.

great post troyfish and your right SAFETY FIRST

Once again my fishing buddy is trying to get this fatman out on the ice hmmmmmmm I just can't believe he will be to successful! Good fishing for you that do convince your buds to venture out on the ice !Be careful and safe fishing!
    Most of my lures catch more fishermen than fish !!!

Fishing is God's way of saying he loves us!

Wishing I was Fishing

Two teenage boys rescued from thin ice (1" ) here in Arizona Thursday near Payson. They were fortunate that there was a tree trunk protruding from the ice, and they clung to it until rescuers arrived! Extremely fortunate kids!
    "Channels are cool, but Flatheads rule!"
    ~Outdoor-Fishing Pro Staff~A.C.C.A.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~G.O.A.~

Bronze Member

One thing to keep in mind too is that god forbid if you go in you will also be carrying the weight of all the layer of cloths on thats why i was looking into getting a ice fishing suit becaue insulated coverall are pretty heavy soaking wet just my opinion
    Last edited by FISHERMAN154; 01-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Executive Administrator/Owner PaJNS's Avatar

Good info.....moving this up.
    I NEVER lied about the size of the Fish I caught....I just remember them being BIGGER!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and....HE WILL STEAL YOUR FAVORITE SPOT."

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Outdoor-Fishing THE Place To Talk Fishing and a Great Place To Be. Spread the Word!!
    Spread the WORD!!

Find more about Weather in Butler, PA
    Click for weather forecast