JoeW

Default Easy way to learn fly casting!

This was the way my mentor taught me the timing needed for casting a fly with a fly rod a long time ago. Just take a 5-6 foot long piece of yarn, yep- yarn! And tie it to the end of a 3-4 foot long broomstick, pole, or stick. Wave it back and forth over your head. You'll start to get the "feel" for casting a fly line! Throw the yarn behind you, pause, throw it back out front-- more slowly than you think! With 12 o'clock being directly over head, when you throw the line behind you, STOP the rod at 1 o'clock and let the line go back. Pause. Bring the rod forward with a quick motion to 10 o'clock and STOP. As the yarn comes forward, slowly lower the "rod" to 9 o'clock. If the yarn keeps hitting you from behind- you're going through the motions too slowly. If the yarn "snaps" and doesn't go out in front of you, you're going too quickly. Heh- I remember carrying a piece of string around in my pocket in 9th grade. When the class got boring, I'd tie the string on the end of a pencil and practice my fly casting skills!

I hope a bunch of you are right now running around looking for yarn and a stick. As Dozer7878 said- you'll never look back! Best---- JoeW
    Last edited by JoeW; 09-22-2010 at 08:37 AM.

This tip is part of the instruction in the terrific fly casting DVD "Basic Fly Casting" by Doug Swisher from Scientific Anglers. I highly recommend this DVD for new (or frustrated) fly casters. You can order it from the Bass Pro Shops online catalog. It made fly casting quite easy to learn for me.

JoeW

Default My mentor...

Gary Borger, I believe, did used to work for Scientific Anglers. He must have had some input into that vid. He showed me the stick and yarn trick when I was in 8th grade, and that was before dirt! It is a great way to learn the timing, especially if you are bored in 8th grade Match class, have a pencil, and a piece of string in your pocket! Thanks for the post--- Best---- JoeW

Executive Administrator/Owner PaJNS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bass or bass? View Post
    This tip is part of the instruction in the terrific fly casting DVD "Basic Fly Casting" by Doug Swisher from Scientific Anglers. I highly recommend this DVD for new (or frustrated) fly casters. You can order it from the Bass Pro Shops online catalog. It made fly casting quite easy to learn for me.

On the Home Page is a link to Bass-Pro.
    I NEVER lied about the size of the Fish I caught....I just remember them being BIGGER!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and....HE WILL STEAL YOUR FAVORITE SPOT."

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Outdoor-Fishing THE Place To Talk Fishing and a Great Place To Be. Spread the Word!!
    Spread the WORD!!

Find more about Weather in Butler, PA
    Click for weather forecast