• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Why are they called "Steelheads"

PaJNS

Executive Administrator/Owner
Does anyone have any data or input as to where the name Steelhead came from?

J

JoeW

From the top, the head is a gray-blue "Steel" color, especially on fresh, healthy specimens. At least that what I always thought. Have to check again.... VERY SOON!

Hey- here's a tidbit of information for you all. Both the Largemouth and Smallmouth belong to the genus "Micropterus" - which in Latin means.... "Small Fin". Why would the bass with that big double sail-like top fin be called that?shrug

The rest of the story: The guy giving the fish it's latin name (Nelson, in 1876) had had a defective soecimen sent to his lab for study! The top fin had been mutiliated down to just a nub! That caught Nelson's eye and thus he named it "Small Fin" or Micropterus. doh Huh. Best---- JoeW

J

JoeW

LOL! I think you're thinking of "Ol' Jinglebells"-- the legendary Wisconsin muskie whose mouth was so full of lures it had broken off, that when it jumped, it sounded like jungle bells. Best---- joeW

Duckpro

Out in the NW they call fresh fish "chromers" for the bright chrome-like coloring. Check out steelheadstalkers products.............I'm in the process of bringing their products East!

Zilch

They must have a head made of steel to survive the 750+ miles of dams and rocks from the ocean to their spawning grounds?

AnceseeRaina

Believe me, but such a test has been around for a long time. The tab is called Device Report, all errors on the last page. If there are any.