• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Question? Unnecessary Hate for the Carp?

AZAllen

Talk about goldfish taking over, in Quemado lake,NM, there were so many goldfish that one could stand up an the hill above the lake and there would be a glowing ring around the lake. The solution used by the New Mexico fisheries people was to stock muskies. I was told that these were sterile fish, at any rate, the lake is not overrun with goldfish. I guess the muskies eat a few trout but they did solve the goldfish problem which was also causing problems for the trout fisherman.

25-30 years I turned up my nose at carp until we ate some canned carp at an outdoor event. I gigged quite a lot at the time and after that we targeted carp. Over the last several years I've been hearing that on a fly rod they are "the poor man's bonefish". I'm seriously considering tying up some cottonwood fluff flys and trying them this spring.

I'm sure it's the same about everywhere in the U.S. and certainly here in Missouri. Usually when a non-native is introduced, after a period of time the liabilities far outweigh the benefit. I can think of more than a half dozen in my lifetime, just locally.

L

Larry

Well, the carp certainly is a controversial fish...but I must admit...they are a true fighter on the end of your line!

tholmes

fish magnet
You can smoke carp. it's pretty tasty.
I filet it and only smoke the upper half of the fish.
the rest of it is buried in the garden.
I'll have to try using it for mud bug bait as B&B said. It sure cheeper than using chicken legs.

I tried that once, but I had a devil of a time keepin' 'em lit!:p

Tom

bdpeters

Thought I would bring this back to the top. I have a new found interest in carp. Thought I might take up fly fishing for them and have been working on some fly's. lets see here are some reasons I came up with to target them.

1. there are many opportunities close by.
2. they fight real hard.
3. they will take many different fly's. no need to tie up a hatch matcher on a size 22.
4. they are not pushovers like some folks believe.
5. they get huge.
6. no one is going to care if I keep a few.
7. I like the idea of a fish that will take off like a rocket and run me into my backing on a regular basis.

Micro Jig

That's the problem...it tastes like canned mackerel.

Times would have to be pretty danged hard for me to eat that.

Tom
Keep watching it won't be too long before your serving that carp up on your dinner table. :eek:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Thought I would bring this back to the top. I have a new found interest in carp. Thought I might take up fly fishing for them and have been working on some fly's. lets see here are some reasons I came up with to target them.

1. there are many opportunities close by.
2. they fight real hard.
3. they will take many different fly's. no need to tie up a hatch matcher on a size 22.
4. they are not pushovers like some folks believe.
5. they get huge.
6. no one is going to care if I keep a few.
7. I like the idea of a fish that will take off like a rocket and run me into my backing on a regular basis.
I would go for it! It's kinda like the same here in the salt with Bluefish. They don't really taste all that good, but they are fun to fish for. With a mouth full of teeth, they will take just about anything that's shiny and moves. And pound for pound, they are the toughest inshore fighters. And...no one minds if you take a few home.

Micro Jig

I would go for it! It's kinda like the same here in the salt with Bluefish. They don't really taste all that good, but they are fun to fish for. With a mouth full of teeth, they will take just about anything that's shiny and moves. And pound for pound, they are the toughest inshore fighters. And...no one minds if you take a few home.
I wouldnt totally agree with that for them little blues are mighty tasty and a real blast on lite tackle and did I say they taste good...lol

bdpeters

yep and I have the best carp recipe. pegsguy passed it along to me. I believe it involved a cedar plank and went something like this. place carp fillet on plank and season with your favorite seasoning, i was thinking salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. Place plank on bbq coals and cook until done. now here is the real good part, discard fillet and eat plank with a nice cool beer of choice. the only thing i worry about is slivers in my mouth. I guess that is better than those pesky carp bones.

Fisnfool

You can smoke carp. it's pretty tasty.
I filet it and only smoke the upper half of the fish.
the rest of it is buried in the garden.
I'll have to try using it for mud bug bait as B&B said. It sure cheeper than using chicken legs.

That is what I do. Good Stuff. The price for smoked carp in the local grocery store is $4.50 a pound.

Lohycore

Here in Louisiana, many people eat them, and swear by the taste. I've tried it, and while it isn't my favorite fish to eat, I certainly wouldn't wait until I'm starving to have some more. So far as crawfish bait goes, carp, drum, buffalo, etc, any "trash" fish is caught, frozen, then sold to crawfish farmers as bait, and you can make good money doing so. Put a few processed pellets and a couple chunks of chopped fish in the trap, and you can get ready for boiled crawfish and crawfish etouffee. Yeah buddy!!!
A lot of people eat gar fish around here also, so even if you don't, the local seafood market will buy it off of you. There is usually a way to avoid just whacking the fish and leaving it for dead, if one tries to find a way.

wparker

Yea, I agree! Interestingly, the introduction of brown trout in the East had a big role in the loss of the Native Brook trout from many (most?) creeks!
Unless a fish directly and definitely harms gamefish, (like the lamprey!) I can't see just killing them and leaving them to rot. And it's not like the number that would be killed by fishermen would make any difference! Geez, I know guys that whack any sheephead (freshwater drum) on the side of the boat then throw them back in the water. Like killing ONE is going to make a difference in the bajillions that are in Lake Erie. Nah, I throw back any carp, suckers, sheephead, etc. that I catch-- heck carp put up a great fight! If I blunder into any this summer, I'm going to try one smoked- I heard people swear by them! Same thing with Northern Pike up in Canada- fishermen used to kill all they caught because they competed with trout--- Now the Northern is the only gamefish in some of those lakes and the Canadians are glad to have them!
Eh, live and let live- someday you or your grandkids may be glad there's carp around to catch! Best---- JoeW
I agree with Joe, live and let live. Too many anglers out there throwing what they deem unsuitable on the shore or on the ice. These fish shouldn't be in the system but they are. The system will figure it out, it always does. Until then enjoy the fight!

WP

Troyfish

Raymond Troy Hopson
I have always wanted to go down to the Illinois River where they shoot the jumping silvers from the back of a speeding boat, or just shoot them from a regular boat. A lot of people see them as a trash fish, but they have fighting qualities that rival and even sometimes exceed catfish. They are also not to bad tasting when cooked on a smoker and caught from a good lake.

fisherfanatic

Power Angler
I have always wanted to go down to the Illinois River where they shoot the jumping silvers from the back of a speeding boat, or just shoot them from a regular boat. A lot of people see them as a trash fish, but they have fighting qualities that rival and even sometimes exceed catfish. They are also not to bad tasting when cooked on a smoker and caught from a good lake.
Fighting quality? Silver Carp can not be caught with hook and line, unless, or course, you snag them.

AZAllen

Common carp were originally imported so the "ordinary" people would have something to fish for, saving the trout for the "gentry".