• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

News Trout Season in PA

PaJNS

Executive Administrator/Owner
Tradition is a good word. I have only missed One Trout opener in 50 years. Heading up North again this year to keep it going. Hopefully now that I have a GoPro I will have some Video of this trip. Using a Good Ole Mitchell 304 Reel that was just cleaned yesterday.

solitario lupo

TROUT SEEKER
seems like some people cant wait and already fishing for them haha. Dont know y they cant keep them. My tradition is usually waiting for the second weekend when the crowds die down. I go up north to.

PaJNS

Off to chase them Trout. Have a GREAT weekend all. Pics and Vids to follow when I get back.

bassrookie

I'm looking for a guide in PA near Carlisle for fly fishing. I own alot of fly gear but I'm not very good at what I'm doing. Not even sure I'm doing things right. Really looking for a knowledgeable person to learn from on a day of fishing. Don't mind paying for a guide if it's helpful to learning new techniques.

Fish2DMax

Jerry A
Fly Fishing Technique

I'm looking for a guide in PA near Carlisle for fly fishing. I own alot of fly gear but I'm not very good at what I'm doing. Not even sure I'm doing things right. Really looking for a knowledgeable person to learn from on a day of fishing. Don't mind paying for a guide if it's helpful to learning new techniques.
Bassrookie I want to encourage you but I'm going to be of little help as I am in Georgia. Let me ask if you are looking for tips with fly fishing in general (casting, presentation, etc.) or specifically with fly fishing for trout (lure selection, places to fish, etc.)?

I am pretty much self taught and one of the things I use when introducing someone to fly fishing is an open pond or angling from a boat (casting platform) for small bluegill. Doing this cuts down on what they can get hung in and small 'gills are a numerous bunch and generally are an interested little fish because he has to compete with others for food. So presenting a small fly to a bluegill is a great way to practice ones technique. As with anything confidence is gained and you can translate your skill to the trout waters.

I learned to cast a fly rod in my parents back yard. Take the fly off and just practice with the fly line itself. For trout you'll need to develop a nice roll cast for mending. My technique here is rolling your wrist and letting the rod pick the line up and transfer the energy down the line. I'd even set out a Frisbee and use that as a target. Increase your level of difficulty by placing the Frisbee near the base of a tree or bush. Think about it... you're going to want to be able to direct the fly to a relatively small target and there will be everything from rocks to tree limbs in the water that can potentially hold your quarry.

A bluegill or small bass will take a wide variety of flies - wet, dry, nymph and even topwater sponge bugs (we call them spiders) or poppers. i know it's a little early for bluegill in PA but it's certainly worth keeping in the back of our mind for later. At present I don't do a great deal of fly fishing but I am at your service should you need someone to bounce ideas off of. I've caught trout in various sizes & types of water in Georgia, Arkansas & Montana.

bassrookie

Thanks

I am having trouble getting my cast down. the line usually all hits in a pile before my fly hits the water. Once I get that down I want to focus on selecting flies. Your advice was useful. I'll have to get out in the yard and practice. I need alot of space my back cast goes along way.

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
If space is limited try going to a park to practice your casting. That's what I did with my cast net, as my back yard wasn't big enough. Also watch a few YouTube videos on making your casts...there are hundreds on YT on casting, selecting flies, tippets, everything with fly fishing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PaJNS

Opening Day of Trout in PA this past Saturday. Water was High and fast but we all managed a limit of 5 each.

uploadfromtaptalk1397515844850.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397515865682.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397515885447.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397515902809.jpg

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Nice job Pa..looks like a bunch of happy campers! 😃

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fish2DMax

Jerry A
barresi had a nice tip too!

I am having trouble getting my cast down. the line usually all hits in a pile before my fly hits the water. Once I get that down I want to focus on selecting flies. Your advice was useful. I'll have to get out in the yard and practice. I need alot of space my back cast goes along way.
Barresi had a nice tip too! Try a park or even a ball field at a church or something like that. Don't worry about casting over a parking lot either. It'll scar up the line but for practice purposes you can spool with a cheap flat fly line. As with my son and picking up a different rod in the boat (baitcasters) I always have to tell him to make a short cast first. Then if he's satisfied that the spool, drag, etc. is set then he can make a longer and longer cast. If he doesn't he's in a world of hurt with a big birds nest.

Start small and even try side-arm rather than overhead for a shorter cast. It is a smooth motion from start to finish. Snapping your wrist or any herky-jerky motion can upset the balance of it all. If it helps think of placing it beneath overhanging bushes and limbs. I've been many places where a long cast was simply not going to be practical. As you practice though the length of your cast will come.

On the Blackfoot River above Missoula, MT you would have loved it! It was August 2005 I believe and my Project Mngr and I were in town doing site surveys. Over the weekend we hired a guide that was simply fantastic. He took us up the river and put the boat in. Then it seemed we dry cast over the river for an hour before he put us into the boat and began the float. A couple of places we stopped and if you can picture it there I was standing waist deep on a sand bar and casting farther than I thought I could across the river. We caught Rainbow and a native Cutthroat that day. We floated through box canyons. It was one of those days I'd go back and live over and over again if I could. If you ever go stop by the Kingfisher Fly Shop and know that the Clark Fork River runs right through town. From the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Missoula - Edgewater you can walk out of your hotel room and right onto the river. It sits across the river from the University of MT. This is where we stayed and at that time our guide (I'd have to look up his name) taught fly tying and fly fishing classes at the University. Cool, huh?

I may have time to poke around and do research on flies for PA near Carlisle. If I find anything interesting I'll start another thread and that way others can weigh in on the subject too!

Aristokles

We don't have any "seasons" here in Arizona -no- . You go fishing for whatever you want whenever you like. :)
On the other hand we almost NEVER need to run our A/C here, but in truth I'd rather have fishing. Come to think of it, we do have year-round fishing, just not year-round fisherman -