• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

TBF and Youth Fishing

Bubblegum

The Bass Federation aka TBF has a couple of excellent youth programs.1 is divided into 2 age groups 11 to 14 and 15 to 18 this Youth Division has a annual State Qualifier.The winners of each age group goes on to fish The Junior World Championship.I was lucky enough to be able to participate in this year's tournament as a boat captian.
The other program is the SAF {student athlete fishing},this is High School level.A school fishing team must have at least 6 members,they do not have to attend the school they are fishing for,and an adult volunteer Director/coach.
In both divisions they can advance to a national tournament and compete for scholarships.Anyone interested in getting either or both divisions started in your area,contact the TBF Youth fishing for more information.

Don

Fish2DMax

Jerry A
Bouncing this for exposure. FLW Outdoors with their program designated TBF (The Bass Federation) is making a concerted effort to build interest in the sport of angling from the ground up, as B.A.S.S. had done once upon a time. As Bubblegum had posted some time ago there are opportunities for all age groups. If you have interest the first thing to check would be to see what is available in your area. http://bassfederation.com/about/state-federations/

As an example I went to Georgia and learned that the 2015 Youth State Championship will be held Saturday, March 14, 2015 at Lake Blackshear Veterans State Park. Registration will be held Friday, March 13, 2015 with more information to follow. This is for anglers ages 11 to 15 (the date by which a competitor’s age will be determined shall be August 31st of the present year) and each team can carry 6 members to the event. Now with this age group there has to be a committed support staff including boats with drivers (Boat Captains) which are basically adult sponsors, angling advisers and the ones responsible for everyone's safety throughout the day's angling adventure.

Beyond this it is just as it would be with any other sport; there are High School age groups, College age groups carrying all the way up through the Amateur, what I'll call Semi-Pro or more serious weekend anglers and finally the Professional ranks. The small club that I am a member of sends their top 6 qualifiers to the Georgia State Championship each year. This is the grass roots pure amateur component for adult anglers that carries up to the TBF Federation National Champion where a single winning Boater earns the TBF Living The Dream package that includes fully paid entry fees to the FLW Tour as a tour pro.

FLW Outdoors also organizes The Walleye Federation (TWF) and it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they may one day be doing the same types of things that The Bass Federation (TBF) is doing with different age groups represented to a National level.

So if competition is in your veins consider getting involved. It all starts at the local level with organizing a group of like minded individuals committed to the sport - whether competition is a part of it or not.

Bubblegum

Fish2Dmax I have been doing this for several years now and every time I go out with these young anglers I am amazed at how good some of them are.They are very serious about this sport now and in the future.

Anyone who gets into this game will get more than your share of thrills from watching these young men and young ladies pursue their dreams.