• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Take a Kid Fishing

bdpeters

so after a few years of fulfilling my Anglers legacy pledge I decided to up it a notch and got involved with my local city's youth fishing club through our state DNR. starting tomorrow I get to mentor this group of first through 6th grade kids each week for a couple of months. right now we have around 30 kids. tomorrow night I get to teach them how to tie knots, they will also learn the basics of casting. each week a subject is covered such as basic fishing skills plus conservation and ecology followed by a fishing session each week on the water. I am very much looking forward to this and encourage everyone else to get involved with the next generation of fisher men and women.^!

Banned
If Vito saw this before I did he'd be saying "you better take Turks and show him how to tie a knot". lol. But good for you bdpeters. I been thinking of doin this as well, however, I got my own little one to show how to fish, so maybe sometime in the future.

bdpeters

I need to learn a few more myself. right now I am just showing them the improved clinch and palomar. no fancy bimini twist or anything here.

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
I need to learn a few more myself. right now I am just showing them the improved clinch and palomar. no fancy bimini twist or anything here.
Those two knots and maybe the uni knot is all you'll ever need. If you learn those 3 knots, you can get by nicely. BTW...the bimini twist is a really easy knot to learn...the thing with that knot, all the twists intimidate most folks. And to be honest, it's not a knot you would use for most freshwater fishing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

bdpeters

well in spite of the weather we still ended up having a good turnout last night. it was interesting and pretty fun. the weather was around 40 degree temps and very windy. probably around 30 with the wind chill. a few of the kids came fairly un prepaired for the temps and a few left after the introduction and class portion of the session. I don't think anyone caught anything and I believe it was at least partially due to the weather, we are at the tail end of a cold front and stormy weather. next week should be alot better with temps in the 60s. I was surprized at how well the kids learned their knots.

bdpeters

well this weeks weather was much better. started out in the low 60's. the fishing has improved a little bit with a few of the kids catching some rainbows and channel cats. on both night crawlers and power bait. one thing that I can say for sure is this is very rewarding. the kids in my group are awesome and fun to talk to.

L

Larry

Sounds like everyone is having a great time Brian...way ta go!^!

bdpeters

well this week the weather was not great again. we actually had snow here in the morning. a bit unusual for the 1st of May. there were flurries throughout the day. the weather cleared for the evening but it was still pretty chilly with high winds again. not the most pleasant weather for the kids. in spite of the weather we still had a good turnout. there were a few fish caught, a couple of catfish, a white bass and a rainbow.

bdpeters

well loks like tonights session may be a little dreary. it should not be too cold but we are expecting rain with possible lightning. the rain should be tolerable but no way with the kids and lightning

bdpeters

well the weather last night was a mixed bag for the kids. it started out with it being pretty windy with gbig dark clouds. just as they started fishing the rain came but did not last too long. after that the wind died down and it became alot more pleasant. basically light jacket weather. a couplf a channel cats were caugth but it was still pretty slow.

dugger

Bronze Member
Brian without folks taking an interest in our youth what will they become ? Fishing was my passion the first time I caught a perch in my Granpas pond! And taking the time you are doing to help dem kids make me proud to call ya my Bubs ! ! Fish on Bubs!

B

Bradley

I'm with Dugger...fish on bubs!! ^!

The time you are investing in those kids is priceless. I am sure they will remember it forever.
:)

bdpeters

i can sure tell ya dug and tank, the experience has been priceless and I will be sure to do it again next year. unfortunatly I have to miss next week because of prior family commitments but the week after is the last session and we are planning a fish fry. unfortunatly we will probably be purchasing our fish for the feast.

bdpeters

I forgot to mention something in my post from last weeks session. the week before that i was telling my group about different catfish baits. I mentioned to them about chicken, hotdogs and of course bubble gum. from the looks on thier faces i am sure they did not believe me about the bubble gum. well last week one of the students showed up with some gum. I told him he needed to chew it first before putting it on the hook. he got it all soft and stuck it on a hook and sure enough he was the kid in my group to catch a channel cat. I think that this week we will see a few more show up with gum. I kinda wish I was able to be there tonight.

bdpeters

well last night was the last night for the youth fishing club. it started out very windy and later changed to very windy and chilly. we were going to have a fish fry but that kinda did not work out. we ended up with pizza instead for the kids. not too many fish were caught. one of the boys in my group was tired of fishing with bait and asked for a lure to use so I hooked him up with a roostertail in raindbow pattern. first cast he caught a white bass. he was pretty pumped about that even though the little bass was not too much bigger than the spinner. I got a couple of whities later on with a roostertail also. a couple of rainbows were taken on salmon eggs. there is talk of having another summer 6 week session with older kids.

Brian

B

Bradley

Good going Brian. You made the most of a bad situation...and introduced a kid to the thrill of catching a fish on a lure. I'll bet he is like the rest of us and "hooked" for life. Keep up the great work!! ^!^!

dugger

Bronze Member
Good job Bubs!!!! bubble gum ? Really? I've done seen an elephant fly when I see a catfish caught on bubble gum! Dats just cool!