• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Poke Poling

Zilch

My last saltwater fishing trip was "Poke Poling" and salmon fishing in northern Ca.

Poke Poling: Catching Monkey faced eel. I learned this from my Granddad back in the 50's.
Take a bamboo pole about 12' long, tape a piece of soft 1/8" wire 15' to pole leaving 3' past the small end, make a loop that end of the wire and solder leaving no rough edges. This is where your leader ties. A 1/0 short shank hook with 90# squidding line doubled works best with no more than 5" of line. The 3' of wire past end of pole is so it can be bent to fish holes in and around rocks where ell and other fish live. This is rock fishing at its best on a -1.0 or lower tide. Walk or swim out and find a rock to stand on. Great fishing and fun. A wet suit under Levis works great.

Last catch was 6 eel