• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Link PA List of record fish.

PaJNS

Executive Administrator/Owner
Maybe because the Bowfin is on the Endangered Species list in PA.

Banned
I would think Bowfin to be on the invasive species list if anything. Geneva swamp is polluted with those things, and I have caught them in the Allegheny River in Oil City.

Banned
Geneva from what I could see was just absolutely polluted with Bowfin, I imagine there could be a ton of bass, but I never caught any there. Everything I saw caught there was bowfins. Not even a measily bullhead.

bass or bass?

Bowfins are not invasives, but native to most states in the Ohio/Mississippi River drainages. I used to catch them fishing in Florida when I was a teenager. They put up one heck of a fight!

Frost

They're on the candidate species list... They're not endangered and can be kept, but can not be killed just to kill them... I caught one in pymie while bass fishing the beginning of July or so (whoever put it in there better hope I don't find them, they would destroy pymie) it was a fun catch till I saw what it was.

W

Walleyejustin

They're on the candidate species list... They're not endangered and can be kept, but can not be killed just to kill them... I caught one in pymie while bass fishing the beginning of July or so (whoever put it in there better hope I don't find them, they would destroy pymie) it was a fun catch till I saw what it was.
youre not the first, my cousin was telling me about a few he caught out of pymie this year :eek:

It wont be long an they will be everywhere in Pyme.....gotta love it when people think they can play fish biologist an put fish where they want

K

k'az'r

They're a native fish...not sure where the assumption comes form they've been introduced.?
They won't destroy Pymie...or any other body of water...they've always been here.
They're one of the oldest species on the planet, and will be here long after us.^!

I see nothing wrong with them & enjoy every one I catch...and release them unharmed.
Some of the fighten-est fish in our waters, and an important part of the ecosystem. <><

Ohhh didnt know they were not put in there by man, sorry. I knew they were native just didnt know they were that wide spread thru this area.
I like to catch everything, them included. I do remember a time when bowfin and gar where hated an now you see people trying to catch them. Haha i think that is cool

K

k'az'r

What I can't believe, is that 'ski record's stood the test of time. :cool:

With the increase in the amount of guys fishing for them, and all the advances in lure / fishfinder technology....super lines, carbon drags, etc.

an 88 year old record is mighty impressive! ^!

After this long, I wonder if it'll ever be beat?!? shrug

DRMead

Slacker
They're a native fish...not sure where the assumption comes form they've been introduced.?
They won't destroy Pymie...or any other body of water...they've always been here.
They're one of the oldest species on the planet, and will be here long after us.^!

I see nothing wrong with them & enjoy every one I catch...and release them unharmed.
Some of the fighten-est fish in our waters, and an important part of the ecosystem. <><
Amen Pork, NY has Bowfin too.You can find quite large specimins in The Basherkill Swamp (NY State Land) 1/2 an hour north of Port Jervis,and Matamoris Pa. on Rte 209.
Yes they are quite old,like prehistoric old.................:cool:

W

Walleyejustin

What I can't believe, is that 'ski record's stood the test of time. :cool:

With the increase in the amount of guys fishing for them, and all the advances in lure / fishfinder technology....super lines, carbon drags, etc.

an 88 year old record is mighty impressive! ^!

After this long, I wonder if it'll ever be beat?!? shrug
more people fishing for them and better technology means they dont live as long shrug maybe theyre all getting caught before they get big.

or are just a very smart fish... I hope thats the case. <><never understood the reasoning behind keeping such a magnificent fish.