• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Okanogan River Washington Steelhead

Malottguy

Decided to try the opener for Metalheads today on the Okanogan River and it wasn't has hot as last years but had four hookups with two Steelhead landed and one nice smallmouth( was first fish of the day and odd to catch where I was fishing).

Both I landed were near the 7 pound mark one closer to 8 and both made long 100 yard runs. That is fun while watching their airel displays. The one I lost was maybe a tad larger but I think was a native fish as it fought much harder and on one jump before it threw my spinner back at me I thought I saw a adipose still there.

Was using a Blue Fox Vibrax in metallic blue (my standby spinner). Waters aren't cooled down a lot yet but getting there so just going to get better.

Though not a limit it was close and I had a blast. Pictures are of my first one, a friend has a picture of the second one I just haven't gotten it from them yet.

If anyone wants to contact me about what I use and and where the general area is I fish message me and maybe we could hook up for a quick trip.

Also my apologies I cannot get the photos to go smaller on the size. If someone has advice on that please let me know.

Attachments

J

JoeW

Hee Haw! Nothing like the first Steelies of the year! Great fish! The two main creeks around here (WNY)- one's too low, the other high and muddy! Went out Thurs anyhow, no fish, but got to practice getting stuck in the mud! http://outdoor-fishing.com/showpost.php?p=1840&postcount=1 LOL

Ever try a Panther Martin? It's one of my "go to" spin lures for Steelhead, although my box is loaded with Vibrax, too! Hey, continued good luck!

Oh-- your pictures are fine- nice size! Best---- JoeW

J

JoeW

Yea, I use them a lot for "stream trout" too. Something about that concave/convex (?) blade! Always lked yellow spotted or black spotted with plain nickel/silver blades (the "originals"). 1/4 - 1/2 oz for Steelies. Like you and like the law here says, I replace the trebs with a single, larger hook. Wish I could use a double hook, though. Going to try again next week-- need a couple for the smoker! Good luck to you! Best---- JoeW

J

JoeW

You're breaking my heart!

I am off this afternoon to try for another one or two for our smoker as well. I will keep you posted :)
Next week is the earliest for me! And yep--- 1 Steelie is an OK day, 2 is a good day, and 3 would be a great day. Any more than 3 in a day, and I want to hire you as a guide! LOL and good luck Malottguy! Best---- JoeW

Malottguy

Well went for a little afternoon try. Was a tad warm and fish just didn't look interested and then some guy walked right into the whole I was fishing LOL... Oh well..

I agree a 2 fish day was good but I always hope for the best LOL If I caught 3 or 4 I would go buy a lotto ticket.

Malottguy

An update on the old Okanogan River. It has been frozen over then thawed now freezing again LOL. About the time it looks good to fish it is frozen up. Oh well next spring.

Off to fish Rufus Woods Lake for Triploid Rainbows.