• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Report Night Fishing for Stripers

Lureman

Went out on the Blackhawk, Waterford, CT the other night with my daughter, Heather. We were fishing adjacent to Race Rock. We fished with eels first and no one had a ny luck. I have a bite but no fish. We all switched to bucktail jigs and still no fish. Around 10pm, I got my first bite and a keper Striper(32"). After that nothing for about 5 drifts. Then it all went array. Everyone started catching stripers and bluefish. I got my second striper(34"), and that sealed my limit. I felt bad for Heather, she did not catch anything. The guy next to us gave her his fish, although she really wanted to catch a fish. Anyway, we got another fish from another guy and we came home with 4 fish. Now I have striped bass for tghe winter. Pics attached

Attachments

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Hey Lureman...Sounds like a good night fishing! Were you using bait or lures?

Lureman

night fishing for stripers

We used eels the first 3 hours - no luck. Switched to a bucktail jig(black, red) with 16oz of weight. Everyone caught their fish on jigs.

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Thats an interesting and effective approach. 16oz weight with a bucktail. If you have some time, please explain that setup. It sounds like bucktailing with a 3 way swivel. I've used that technique on the boat. Depending on the current, I've used any where from 1-3 oz bucktail with a 3 ft leader, tied to a 3 way swivel, and about a 12in of mono to a bank sinker, size depending on depth and current. It's a rig that the commercial pin poppers use to catch stripers. Works well when there not in the mood for live or chunk bait. Thanks..Vito
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2