• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

New HCS Surf Rods Hit Waikiki Beach @ Night!

Okuma's NEW Custom 13' & 14' Rods Before Hurricane Doug Hits!

Hurricane Doug is on the verge of hitting so i forced myself to get up at 3am to head out. I decided to use Okuma's NEW 13' Custom HCS Surf Rod with a Cedros 8K Spinner filled with 50lb Eminent Braid by Soft Steel. My other rig is also Okuma's NEW 14' Custom HCS Surf Rod with a Coronado CDX-65 Baitfeeder Spinning Reel Filled with 65lb Eminent Braid by Soft Steel as well. The day before i was also up at 3am to trench through soft sand that killed my legs. But i had to go because this fast moving hurricane might do some real damage.

I could tell the winds are picking up a bit. The sun was relentless, always before a hurricane. These 2 long distance rods are rated for 4.2-8.8oz. But i could cast both rigs using only 3oz lead bank from where i was standing, across the boat channel to the reef flats on the other side. Truly amazing rods! Even though both rods are rated XH i found the 13ft to be a bit "softer" while loading-up. Also when using 4-6oz i could really really man handle the 14ft easily.

For hours my baits were being pinched-off by crabs to smaller creatures nibbling it off. At daybreak i started to get numerous smaller strikes on a sandbar maybe 80-90yd away. If i dropped my baits around that mound. Nothing. But it seems that a school of small Jack Trevallys "Papios" were there. At times they were hitting my baits before it hit the bottom. After 7 or 8 strikes i decided to pack it up & walk to the inner lagoon to see what was happening there. For the past 2 weeks a school of young sardines mixed with scads were there.

It was a nice change. I threw my 13ft rig near them and rested under a tree having lunch. After an hour i packed it up & went home. I'm hoping the incoming hurricane won't be as bad as the reports suggest.