• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

My 12' Rockaway HD Surf Rod Field Review!

Okuma Rockaway HD Reviewed on Location for Casting Ability!

It's been a week since i got my 12ft Rockaway HD by Okuma. This is the most powerful Rockaway Surf Rod ever released! Rated at 6-16oz. 70/30 split for loading-up. UFR "Ultimate Flex Reinforcement". 24/30 ton low resin carbon blank. Deep pressed Sea Guides with zirconium inserts. Textured shrink wrap handle. 6-models to choose from ranging from 9-12ft.

I added the NEW Cedros Carbon 14000 Spinner with 65lb Soft Steel Eminent Braid to complete the package. This reel is 15% lighter than the all aluminum Blue Azores Reel of the same size. Also both has 44lb max drag. My final touch was "white" light reflective 3M tape for identification & night usage. I also added a Bell Buddy by Fishing Solutions

During this field review i'll experiment with different casting weights. The rod is stiff but still flexible enough to load-up those lead bombs. Though i never caught anything this day i've casted enough rigs to know the "feel" is good. The distribution of weight along the rod felt well distributed on the load points when i went up to 10oz. I didn't see the need to cast heavier leads as i was getting great distances with what i brought.

The only strike this day was a smashing take-down on my 13'3" HCS Surf Rod that John Bretza & I worked on for over 2yrs. That rod came crashing down using crab filled bait bags by Big Vic's. I'll try to get out more but the surf & weather aren't "predictable" at the moment.