• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Live Crab Works Over Frozen Squid "Ika"!

Cannot Beat Live Bait! But No Table Fare For Tonight:(

I decided to use my Spydro Underwater Camera today. Water clarity was very poor due to the extreme full moon tides stirring-up the bottom. So on my Cedros 11' Surf Rod w/Surf 8K spinner i mounted my Spydro Camera using frozen squid "Ika" as a starting point before i went scrounging for live bait.

My live bait rig consisted of my HCS 9'6" Shoreline Plugger rod w/a Rockaway 6K spinner. It was an extreme minus tide so collecting live rock crabs was fairly easy though the soft mud was like quick sand. This area only allowed for 2 rods per person so i stuck to live crabs as my preferred bait. Within minutes i got a baby Hammerhead Shark which i released. Latter in the day got a Burrfish "Porcupine Fish". Ok, the ika wasn't working so i swapped that frozen bait out for a live crab. Bingo, another baby Hammerhead. This shows that live bait will always do better then frozen dead baits. Figures i got that last Hammerhead after the Spydro unit ran out of power. Next time i'll start with the Spydro rig first using live bait.

Though i released everything i failed in producing sought after edible fare to give away. Considering the murky conditions, extreme tides & the storm that rolled in soaking me to the bone & causing island flooding alerts it was nice just to get a bit darker again.