• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

"Leisenring Lift" works well

bowmike

It is no secret that my favorite way to nymph fish is with an indicator. I don't know what it is but watching that indi rip up stream has the same effect for me that many dry fly fisherman like when the trout comes up and wacks their fly.
I like the no fuss no muss way of fishing. Heck I use a hand tied tapered leader to a barrel swivel and use 4-6# fluorocarbon for my tippet. It works, I catch fish, and I am happy.
Some days however the old faithful indicator and dead drift wont cut it. Often if the water is lower it is tough to detect the strikes with it. So I reluctantly switch methods. Some times I leave the indicator on to help me see the general area where the flies are. My eyes are the best anymore.
Well this morning before work I snuck to my honey hole and had about 15 minutes to fish. My first cast yielded a nice 10" hold over bow. The trout hit a grey squirrel nymph. I know there are a pile of fish in this hole, but after 5 minutes of no more takers I figured I was either not detecting the strikes, or the fish did not want the dead drifted nymphs.
I could see a few trout actively feeding mid water coloumn, so I figured I would try and use the "Leisenring Lift" technique. Now it is probably more technical than how I was doing it, and I am sure others know more about how to do this but here is what I was doing.
I knew a few of the key feeding lies on the hole, and a few of the structures that would hold the fish. I kept the indicator on for a reference to know where my flies were. Most would take it off, but it helps me quickly keep tabs.
I would pitch out up stream at roughly a 45 degree angle and let the flies get to the bottom. Once my indicator would be above where i felt the fish were I would start to slowly lift the flies up. The rod would be pretty much straight out in front of me, and I would be lifting the flies up and down stream.
What this is representing is nymphs coming up off of the bottom. My first lift yielded a nice brookie about 9".
I took him off and gave it a go again. One of the key things about this that you need to remember is pinching the line with you rod hand between you fingers. If you don't it is easy to lose tension. The fish will often hook itself on the lift as they are going to take you fly and swim back down. If you keep tension you will feel the fish take it. A quick lift and the fish will hook itself.
I was having a blast and just about every cast or every other cast yielded a fish. I had about 2 minutes to spare, before I get out of the 10 minutes early comfort zone for work, when my lift go hammered.
I set the hook and my drag was screaming pretty good. I knew I had a nice fish on. THe water temps were pretty low with the cold snap but i still wanted to make the fight short, as I imagine the oxygen levels are a bit lower right now.
I brought to hand a really pretty rainbow. I knew he was in the hole as my son had lost him on a salmon egg/waxworm combo about a week or 2 before.

My go to fly "peeping caddis" as i like to call it, "peeking caddis" is its real name, did the trick on a few of the fish I brought to hand. You can see it a little in this fishes mouth.

I snapped these pics real quick and was getting my fly out when the trout flopped into the water, and snapped my fly off.
Figures as I am out of the ultra chenille I use to tie the pattern. I may try some chartreuse yarn this time around, and save some money.
I am not great at this method and I hope some others who would out fish me any day can chime in with some better tips and explanation. But it is worth a little research. I also believe the creator was from PA.
Thanks for the read,
Mike

solitario lupo

TROUT SEEKER
For the peeking caddis body. Could buy some fluffy yarn in a craft store and cut it up to make dubbing that should save some money and the yarn ball will last.