• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

How I Cast My Conventional Reel!

How I Set-Up My Conventional Reel In A Minute For Casting!

Casting a conventional reel takes hours of practice. I like to practice at a local soccer field during a weekday when nobody is around. I bring an assortment of casting leads & a spray bottle full of water. Recently someone asked me what he needs to do to switch from casting a spinning rig to a conventional rig. So i put this together from stored pics & vids of the previous year. I actually will take a few practice swings on site as the settings do change if the reel is stored long enough.

I like the Tesoro12's. Much smoother then my Torium 30's. Also the California jigging fleet uses this reel for tuna jigging. Currently i think i'm the ONLY shore caster in Hawaii using Tesoro's from shore. I love how smooth these reels are & the incredible distance i'm getting. In a YouTube video the inventor John Bretza was filmed bringing in a billfish on the smallest model, the 5. There's also a 10.

For short cast i just use a spray bottle to wet the line so my thumbs don't get friction burns. For bombing casts i thumb the side of the spool instead of thumbing the wetted line. I also tilt the reel on a 90° angle to the left (i'm right handed) during the cast. I do this to reduce line sagging induced by gravity. In this area there's a reef finger across from me so placing my casts was more important then distance casting.