• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

News Hello Steelies!

J

JoeW

Western NY- feeders to lake Erie: Word on the street:

Dunkirk Harbor-- rainbows and browns are there!
Cattauraugus Creek-- high. dirty- no reports
18-Mile creek-- steelies caught last week, before latest downpour raised the creek, but it's dropping now, weather nice. I'll be going! :)

Best---- JoeW

toadfrog

Gold Member
Sure wish we had more species of fish around here . No matter what you here fish'in is getting tough in Okla. Last couple of years I've caught bigger and better fish in farm ponds . Didn't even have to drag a big boat out . Scamp did the trick . Way cheaper too.

J

JoeW

Hee Haw! Despite the water still being a bit on the muddy side--- first cast of 2011 = one steelhead, 3lbs! Not big, but sure helped get the kinks out! But then nothing. Creeks are full of steelies, just need the water to lower and clear up a bit! Nice to get back out!! Best---- JoeW

J

JoeW

Hi Toad--- Nice to see you're over the "shakes" from losing that wheel well enough to type! I'm still shaking my head on that!
WNY Steelhead- I've got down to a system:
water lower and fairly clear-- my Boo flies fished either on a 6 wgt flyrod, or on bigger water, beneath a float on spinning tackle.
water higher and dirty/cloudy-- spawn sacks if the fish are concentrated in the pools, or 1/4 oz- 1/2 oz L:ittle Cleo spoons if they're moving and you have to search a lot of water for them.
If these tactics don't work, I go home!
They're not around for long in the Spring, maybe a couple of weeks. they spawn, then run back out into Lake Erie. Of course, then come the Smallmouth and Walleyes into the creeks, then Silver Bass, and in between- there's the small stream fly fishing for trout! Somewhere in there, I hope a try or two for some Spring Northerns!
"So much to do and so little time".

That's the way Springtime fishing is for me around here! Best---- JoeW

Last edited:
J

JoeW

Are you referring to the Wizard of OZ again! LOL! You've got a great sense of humor, dug! Best---- JoeW (rained, cold again- creeks are muddy! Geez, the steelhead are there, just can't get to 'em!)