• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Guide Select Pro & Helios-My NEW Whipping Rig!

Rig Synopsis & How I Rig It For Whipping The Shorelines!

Years ago i started out Whipping "Spin Casting" the shorelines using Fenwicks. Then i discovered the T40X Salmon Steelhead series by Okuma. After that line was discontinued i just fell in love with the new replacement series The Guide Select Pro. My first model was the 9'9" rod. I chose the Helios SX high speed 40 spinning reel to compliment this rod. There's a low speed 40 model but i like the higher retrieval rate.

I spooled on Soft Steel's 15lb Eminent Braid to complete the package. The rod is rated for 3/8-1oz. So i started with 3/8oz. The balance & feel was comfortable. If i needed more distance i'd have used 3/4oz. But in 6ft of water i didn't want the leader to sink too fast. If the water clarity was better i'd have used a 1/2oz. Why? Because it would sink faster & i could increase my retrieval rate since the predator fish could now visually see it over a greater distance.

Would i recommend this set-up? I'm happy with it. Looking at putting together my 2nd rig right now. Years back i had over 30 whipping rigs all set to fish. Thinking of putting together 2 more rigs. One longer rod for distance casting and a shorter length for multi-purpose usage. Maybe latter on this year i'll put together a 7'9" casting rig using my Komodo Bait Caster?