• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Question? Good time for channel cat

afeef745

New to fishing.
Ok guys, am back with some questions. I have been chasing cats for a couple of weekends now and tried going at night. And I have to say I didnt like fishing at night. Its dark and you cant see a thing. So I am thinking of going in the mornings for channels.

I am wondering what time would be good for channels? Like before the sunrise, or what? And would the channels be mostly in shallows in the early mornings as well? And what baits are usually more successful in the mornings?

I fish man-made Lake / Reservoir, which dont have much current in the shallows. And I fish from shore. Any tips and comments are welcome.

bass or bass?

Channels will bite anytime of day, however, night time is generally better. If using cut bluegill is legal where you are, use them. Raw shrimp is good bait too. And of course you know how I feel about frozen squid.
You want to locate wood cover. All catfish like wood cover. Cast as close to the cover as possible without actually getting into it. And patience is a virtue! Good luck and Happy Fishing!

fanofthereds

Channels will bite anytime of day, however, night time is generally better. If using cut bluegill is legal where you are, use them. Raw shrimp is good bait too. And of course you know how I feel about frozen squid.
You want to locate wood cover. All catfish like wood cover. Cast as close to the cover as possible without actually getting into it. And patience is a virtue! Good luck and Happy Fishing!
bass or bass has some good tips here. Night time is best, but early morning(pre-dawn to and hour or so after works). Cut bluegill is legal in OH, and is a great choice. I always have had a lot of luck with chicken livers you buy at the grocery store too.

If you can find any ledges(drop offs) where it falls 5' or so in depth rather quickly, try there too. They love ledges, especially if the bottom is soft. They'll bury themselves in the drop off and stick their noses out waiting.

Good luck and keep asking questions. It's the only way to find an answer.My two cents

Your best bet is at night you can buy glow sticks that fit on the end of your rod for night fishing, also Berkley makes a rod that glows in the dark (costs about $30). Get yourself some hat lights with UV and you can fish all night long and be able to see what is going on. If you still do not like fishing at night or do not want to spend the money on any of that stuff fanofthereds is right one or two hours before sunup or try one hour before sunset till you can not see anymore. Good Luck

LeroyB

Silver Member
Get you a propane lantern and hang it on a tree limb or make a pole to hang it on. It will light up the area where you are fishing. I always use them when camping or night fishing.

AZAllen

And the lantern will draw bugs and it it is over the water, those bugs will help draw fish, or so I have heard.

bass or bass?

I like to use a couple of Tiki torches while night fishing on shore. They provide adequite light and repel insects. My two cents

LeroyB

Silver Member
Yes, lanterns do draw bugs and minnows and snakes and Mosquitos.
They also light it up enough around you that you don't sit down on your bloody chicken livers, which is not a really good feeling. Been there and done that! I really like the idea of using tiki torches too. It reminds me of fishing on the Brazos river with my grandad, building a big campfire on the bank, getting river water and making coffee on the fire in an old aluminum coffee pot. When the grounds float the coffee is ready. Yep, I'm getting some tiki torches, thanks for the idea!

bass or bass?

Besides the regular bamboo ones I also have a pair of metal ones with clamps on the end of a short shaft enabling them to be clamped to a pickup truck bed, utility trailer, boat gunwale, etc. I clamp them on my utility trailer when I fish without my boat. ^!

Mr. Blank

Wishin' I was fishin'.
Actually, I bought a headlamp for night fishing that comes with an IR setting. It's great for preserving your nightvision, doesn't attract many bugs, and is strong enough to see quite a ways off. I bought the Energizer brand from Wal-Mart as it was the best deal. I suggest wearing a headband under it though as they can get uncomfortable real quick if you're sweating.

bass or bass?

Actually, I bought a headlamp for night fishing that comes with an IR setting. It's great for preserving your nightvision, doesn't attract many bugs, and is strong enough to see quite a ways off. I bought the Energizer brand from Wal-Mart as it was the best deal. I suggest wearing a headband under it though as they can get uncomfortable real quick if you're sweating.
I have the same model in my tackle box and they are very handy for night fishing. The red LED light won't attract insects. My two cents

Lowe's also sells a camo cap with built in LEDs in the front of the visor. I have one of these too.

afeef745

New to fishing.
I have the same model in my tackle box and they are very handy for night fishing. The red LED light won't attract insects. My two cents

Lowe's also sells a camo cap with built in LEDs in the front of the visor. I have one of these too.
Thanks every one for the help. I have couple of head lamps, one of them has red light for night. Its not strong enough. May be I need new batteries. shrug

afeef745

New to fishing.
Plus, I have heard people talking down on several baits commonly used for catfish being labelled as only good for smaller cats. Chicken liver and dip bait being one of them. Wondering what baits would be more likely to yield a bigger catch? I have heard about hot dogs and cuts blue gills. What do you guys think?

fanofthereds

Cut Fish like bluegill and perch are certainly effective. I've heard hotdogs work, but I can't see them being better than chicken liver or chicken gizzards

afeef745

New to fishing.
Cut Fish like bluegill and perch are certainly effective. I've heard hotdogs work, but I can't see them being better than chicken liver or chicken gizzards
On another forum a lot of people were saying that Chicken Liver yields numbers but not size. Hot Dogs are apparently better for bigger cats. But I havent caught a thing on them so far. And I caught a small one on Chicken liver so far.

fanofthereds

you can try chicken gizzards too. they work about the same for me that chicken livers do, and they stay on the hook a lot better

just don't cover the hook with the gizzard, or you'll never set the hook when you pull

bass or bass?

NOTHING beats live sunfish for producing the largest channel cats. They become far more predatory as they grow larger rather than depending on scavenging as they do when smaller. My two cents

afeef745

New to fishing.
NOTHING beats live sunfish for producing the largest channel cats. They become far more predatory as they grow larger rather than depending on scavenging as they do when smaller. My two cents
Ok. I am not sure how big channels are in the river I fish. But I know it has 6 lbs as we caught one last time. How big of a sunfish would you use to target that size of channel?

bass or bass?

That size channel will easily take a 4" sunfish. You may also tie into a small flathead or a bass with that size bait. My two cents

I caught a nice 8 pound channel last year on my flathead rig with a 6" sunfish as bait.

royy

channel cat

i have caught more channel cat in the morning hours....around 7am til 11am....they bit good if they are there and slack off around 10am.....start again around 5pm til 8 or 9pm...hope this helps someone....secret to catching any fish is to use chum to draw them to your bait area....if nothing else use stock pellets or hog pellets...large type...takes maybe an hour to start drawing them in.....remember you will draw all kinds of fish and probably turtles too....learn to use bread/water to make bait out of the pellets...dough balls, fish on bottom and another rod with float....roy