• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Report fishing the Brazos river near Freeport

desert rat

if i was down there more or lived there instead of just visiting those would be great ideas. i've been using that 3 foot cast net and i went to a 5 this last week and i can tell ya... it whupped my butt

Pike Bait

Yea, I got a cast net but haven't tried to use it yet. It's a 5'ver, plus I'm short, haha. I figured I would grind these saltwater shrimps shells up and freeze them into throwing size balls and throw them near where my bait hits the water. The channel cats should be hitting again soon in my area. I almost exclusively fish from the bank. Here's a pic of one of the locals, he's set up for cats bigtime.

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Speaking of casts nets...I now have 3 thanks to impart one of my nets has a hole the size of Texas in it...lol And I'm really pissed..it was my good one, made by Black Pearl. It's an 11ft/22ft spread weighing approx. 23.5 lbs...I think that's why my back is killing me...:D I also have a West Coast net by Taco..8ft/16ft spread, but it's too light..only weighs 11lbs...So now the newest net I picked up is a 9fter/18ft spread weighing 17.5 lbs with 2in mesh....Custom made by the master net maker Percy Wentworth of Staten Island....Gonna catch a lot of bait with this one...lol

Last edited:

bass or bass?

Guess I better give up the thought of using a cast net. My back goes out doing simple things like reaching for my shirt on the bed (happened today!! ouch!!!) uhh

desert rat

I was really PO'd i was using my 5' with 3'8 mesh and got hung up on the end of concrete :mad: i took off pants/shoes and waded out and retrieved my net only has a 4" hole in it now:eek: got plenty of shrimp for bait then went to the other side of the road for mullet. Now, with plenty of bait ^! me and a couple of buddies went a bit down the way and right after he flipped out his bait (mullet) he caught a nice 16" red. then using shrimp I caught a real nice sand trout who stole my bait, leapt into the air and spit my hook back at me and gave me the old tail wave.shrug Over all between the three of us we caught;
1- redfish
1 sandtrout ( gilbert kept hold of this one)
and 10 5-10" croakers ( i gave several to one of the mechanics) below be the pics of the catch (I know how ya'll are... no pics= no feesh :D

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Looks like a good outing to me DR...I feel your pain with the cast net. My 11fter has a nice hole in it too..And upon further inspection, I found 3 more smaller holes. I patched them up using 10lb mono and it works fine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

dugger

Bronze Member
Made a lot of money with a castanet when I was a youngun and to throw a cast net is a workout but the biggest part of throwing a larger net is the set up before the throw ! I used a 6 ft to learn and as I became better at tossing that one went to a 8 ft and having a teacher that taught me not to over work yourself by gathering up the webbing and weights and resting it on my shoulder to make sure the webbing wasn't tangled for the throw saved me a lot of work! But thanks for fishing my home waters DR it's sure makes me homesick!

desert rat

Dugger, i haven't been able to get used to the on the shoulder routine but i gather the net in my right hand about 18" down from the ring and then grab at the bottom of net and hook over a finger about 18" apart on 3 fingers then hold a section in my left hand and throw rotating my upper body. I usually get a pretty good opening for standing on level ground. I just got to get used to the extra weight on the 5' net.

Vito, i was wondering about the weight of line to use to close the hole, thought it would be about a 10. thanks for the info. Keep the lines wet guys.

desert rat

Got out to the River today, it was way up from the rains and flooding up north. Caught a bunch of shrimp and 1/2 dozen mullet that was 10-15 inches and a dozen croaker 4-8 inches long but the sd card in my camera quit working without my approval so i don't have any proof but I would never lie about something so important as a fishing report.

The river was muddy with 10-15 mph winds and no one that I talked to had even had a bite

RobWild

Your drum are making me hungry. That was my dad's favourite dinner when I was a kid. Been awhile since I reeled one in myself.

desert rat

How big you Talking? I have my 7' and I have 2- 8' but have only gone down to quintana pier once. I moved my car from Channelview down here so now i can get down there easier. a lot of folks are saying with this cold spell we have had nearly everything is moving off shore.

I went down on the Brazos this weekend and had trouble catching bait, not a bite one. Lost my small cast net in some mud flat areas where I usually nail finger mullet. I went today at low tide and slogged my way out and got my net, then found two other nets that had been snagged. One was nearly new, i will have to replace a few pull lines on it and the other the net itself was in great shape but i will have to replace all pull lines and a new lead rope. then I pulled 4 old nets out that had the ability to trap fish so the would die during low tide. I pulled them out and salvaged the weights off all 4 and threw the nets in garbage. won't have to buy sinkers for quite awhile. I got between 20 and 30 pounds of sinkers off all the nets i pulled out. one of the good ones is a 5' and the other is an 8'. and that was my weekend on the Brazos

dugger

Bronze Member
Surf rod!,,,,you can launch a bait wid those !Penn 409 15 ft pole = 80 to hundred yard cast with a nice weight and bait! Do you go fish the jetties at surf side or Brian mound side! A good place to fish this time of year is of the jetties if the surf is not to rough

Last edited:

desert rat

heck, i have talked to some folk down here that are using the long crappie rods as they are cheaper. I go to the surfside and quintana jetties once in awhile, as you know sometimes it is hard to cast from them when people are standing 5' apart

dugger

Bronze Member
Yup but i want to see them catch a bull red with those crappie poles!lol We had big bamboo surf rods using wire surf weights with a 6 to 8 inch mullet live or frsh cut bait or a big hunk of blue crab my favorite by the way or on a two hook fig crab and mullet! Try the local pawn shops they may have one ! 57 lb bull red caught on Brian Mound side was my biggest and have caught some huge black drum there to on sea lice or crab! good fishing DR and happy New Year! dugger