• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Report fishing the Brazos river near Freeport

desert rat

this last thurs, I got back to my fishing hole. Still windy but not raining. Reds were running on the river side and surfside, was mainly going for bait. took a couple hours but got another couple pounds of good size shrimp, bait size croackers, sm. hogleg (aka Bunka) gave he larger shrimp to a friend to take home to his wife for dinner and i froze the fish and shrimp to use as bait on the next round.
I got in from a run about 1530 and had been up and going since 0500 and had to start this run yesterday. but when i get back next week sometime i can start fishing right away while i'm going for fresh bait. Another Great day out of this dern truck and being " ON THE WATER"

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
That's the ticket dr...next time your out on the water, you can start wetting lines..and then go look for fresh bait! Good job with the cast net!

desert rat

i got here to Muskegon,mi today and was bored so decided to snell a bunch of hooks for the next time i decide to start catching the bottom of the river

desert rat

Got to go play today and invited this gentleman for dinner.
Caught him on a 4" shad. Bite was slow ( tide was out) caught him as tide was going out. Only thing i caught all day but was a beautiful day to be out .

Last edited by a moderator:

barresi

Way to go dr...you got him on a soft plaster? lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

B

Bradley

Good catch dr!! And glad to see Flat Katie snuck in there for a photo op with ya. LOL ;)

dugger

Bronze Member
Dang your making me homesick DR I'm from Brazoria and those are my stomping grounds and the Menhaden under a cork fished along the banks should catch every thing that swims flounder ,specks and reds ! Nice red fish pal dang I miss catching those guys!

desert rat

Dugger, i actually thought of you when i caught that one but i was fishing live shad on a bottom rig in some back water. i had another line that i was fishing a popper cork w/ live shad and never got a nibble. but like i said it was low tide and even shrimp weren't running. i only caught 10 jumbo's all day. but dinner was great. filleted him out put some spices and onion pwder on and put him on the geo. foreman

desert rat

Bite was very slow this weekend (at least for me) A couple of guys filled a 30 quart ice chest with gaff tops last night before i got there ^! Got up this am and started fishing, plenty of bait fish. Bite was very slow to near non existant :confused: according to the website tides4fishing. com it was supposed to be a good time for fishing shrug Most people coming back from boat trips said they were only catching small fish or nothing :( around 11 am a trio of kayak fishermen came back with a total of 3 flounder and a large red fish ^! ( I forgot to ask if i could get pics) :eek: i got in truck to cool down and chatted with Vito for a bit (nope, going back to a 1/0 circle didn't really help he bite :eek:) I finally caught an 8 in. sand trout about mid afternoon. As i was breaking camp to come back to my terminal a boater came back and said he had caught a good sized flounder. I asked if i could get his pic with it and he said no but he would take a pic of me with it. I asked if i could get a pic of Katie with it and he was happy to take a pic of Flat Katie and me with his flounder ^! . Not a good day for fishing but it was and always is a great day "On the Water"

barresi

You know the ol saying dr...a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office...lol Nice pic and nice flounder!

B

Bradley

Nice fishing Dan and Leroy!! Looks like you both had great times. :)

desert rat

Went to my hidey hole yesterday and today. ^! was beautiful yesterday and this morning and then a squall line moved in, light rain but didn't improve the bite as i had hoped.shrug clouds cleared and was overcast but a nice morning. Then another squall line came in and the thunder and some lightning came with it. Since i was withing 15 feet of 3x 100 foot pipes made of steel I would turn chicken and leave. Bite was slow to non-existant both yesterday and this morning. but still on the Brazos :D

desert rat

No pics today (had to eat the evidence)shrug Went out to my spot early in the am and caught more than enough mullet for 6 of us fishing ^!3 of them were big enough i could have had them for dinner. Glad no one was taking pics (raining) i was casting from shore and got hung up on some rocks, :mad: waded out and got my net (full of bait). Was up nearly to my waist in water (nice and warm down here):p We went out to the Quintana jetty and walked almost to the end ( about 1/2 mile) :rolleyes: all this was done in rain, drizzling rain and 15-25 mph winds. Dolphins pretty well kept the fish for themselves :( I latched onto something and it kept my tackle:confused: One of my friends caught a nice 23 in. red :cool: and i caught a 12 in hard head :p then one of the guys caught a nice gaff top ( he didn't keep it) we lasted until after noon and called it a day. The winds were picking up, we didn't mind the rain as it was warm but the wind killed us. But a great day " on and off the Brazos"

desert rat

:)Went out last week (during the week) found a brand new 5' super spreader cast net at a yard sale. Had to try it out (ended up removing the spreader ring). That dern thing bout wore me out :eek: I caught about a dozen shrimp (they're coming back in) and a bunch of finger mullet. caught a 10" croaker but he got away for another day. Bite was slow on the slough but had a beautiful sunset to top off another great day

Pike Bait

Hehe Rat,
I love those saltwater shrimp though. I can buy the 2 lb bag from a local grocery for $13.00.
I eat them and save the shells for chum or flavoring for my future cat rigs.