• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Report fishing the Brazos river near Freeport

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Stay clear of them fellers...they will out fish you every time..lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

B

Bradley

Wow. Pretty cool dr.

We don't get any of those types of visitors around these parts. And that is just fine by me. LOL
:D

desert rat

I thought he was about 4 ft but a friend asked how many inches it was from the end of his snout to his eyes were, I told nhim it was 9-10 inches he says it was a 8-9 footer, anyone know where i can find the formula ofhow to tell the size by length of his snout ?

desert rat

Rerigged my cast net yesterday and had to test it out last night :rolleyes: got to my spot and started casting, it worked pretty good ^! my fishing buddy was there again but he had competition
the white dude outfished me and Elvis. But i caught about a dozen good size shrimp, a couple of croakers (about 4 in. long) and a couple of mullet and pogeys. When it started getting dark i left Elvis on his own and went to another fishing hole. (SKUNKED) BUT HAD FUN. i didn't get a bite. kept all the biggest shrimp. some folk right near me was catching gap tops like mad but not me. rigged the same, same bait (shrimp) I think i just wasn't getting as far out as they were. so fish were biting (everyone else) but I wasn't catching. It was a good day.

dugger

Bronze Member
Doing any crabbing there ? love some blue crab ! We use to throw a castanet for shrimp ,some to eat some to fish with !
,fillet the fish use the carcass to catch crab ,seafood dinner ! Oh yea alligator tail yum yum Lol
Hey D R you trying a popping cork with those shrimp?

barresi

Can't wait for blue crabs to start showing up...last few years were excellent for crab'n, hopefully the trend continues.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

desert rat

I got back to Clute @ 0230 and by time I was finished with everything i had to do it was 0430, so I went out to my fishing hole and took a short nap (still too dark to be able to see Elvis( gator) ):eek: got everything together and walked out to the fishing hole ^! set everything up and first cast of the net caught this little feller, he is a 13 in. speck. so got his pic and sent him home

on the same throw i caught a 4 in. croaker. Over the next hour i caught a few more small croakers and a few shrimp. Unfortunately, i missed the only bite i had on the rod shrug Will go back out this evening and see if it is any better. :rolleyes:

desert rat

I hit the Brazos again this evening. Wind was from the SE @10-15 mph, made it hard to tell if it was wind moving your line or the fish shrug I was catching shrimp one at a time over the next 2 hrs and then the shrimp must have moved out and the small croakers moved in. I was catching anywhere from 1 to 9 at a time. then i caught this guy but he wasn't legal and he was the only one i caught so i released him. and then i threw the net and felt it hit something and pulled in these guys Vito, i need yer help here. I have NO idea what they are. They are thin fish and silver in color with a dot behind the gill plate with yellow and black tail fins. then i caught another 14 in speck in my net :eek:. I released him and after all the time i had my line out, not 2 minutes after i released the speck my line goes nuts, and i pulled in this guy. He was 15 1/4 in. Legal by 1/4 in. i decided to call it a night. A 15+ in. spec and a Lb. of shrimp. will be a good dinner for my wifes belated Mothers Day dinner.

desert rat

I called it a speck but the body and head wasn't the same as the other one i caught last month or so. shrug where is Vito when i need him to identify a fish for me :confused:

barresi

Way to go dr...great job with the cast net!!! You got your self a mighty fine belated Mothers Day dinner...Shrimp and Sea Trout...Yummy!!! Ok, so now lets ID those 2 fish you got there...Right off the bat, it looks like you caught your self some certified "Hog~Leg"! What you got there is Gulf Menhaden...aka BUNKA! Atlantic and Gulf Menhaden are from the same family...Only difference is, Atlantic adult Menhaden grow a little bigger, never the less, you got hog~leg...live line them suckers for Specks and Reds...or take em home and freeze em...next time your out fishing, cut them up in nice size chunks...All preadotor fish eat bunka...Good post buddy!

B

Bradley

Great job dr!! Bringing home some memories AND dinner.

Atta boy! :)