• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Report fishing the Brazos river near Freeport

desert rat

Got back from a run up into WV and Ohio today and decided to we a line and got to have a little fun. I went along the inshore channel across from the ship channel below Freeport, Tx caught some shrimp for live bait and Ray ( a friend from work) started the fun by catching a couple black drum then I got into the fun with a couple croaker and a couple drumBut Ray stole the prize for the night with these 2- black drum that is my size 10 next to them to show the size of them. All in all a very good night. All fish were kept for dinner at a later time . We tried shad and mullet as bait but they would only hit on shrimp, can't say as i really blame them

Last edited:

barresi

Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer
Nice catches DR!! Looks like you and your friend had an awesome time!!

desert rat

Bite was slow this evening on the Brazos. Only caught a small handful of shrimp for bait. caught two dinner sized black drum There seems to be a cold front coming in, I thought the bite would be better. They were caught on shrimp

desert rat

Thanks guys. It is always great to put a line in the water but even better when you get dinner to boot

Last edited:

dugger

Bronze Member
I'm from Brazoria Tx fished that Brazos must of my young life up into my 20s,the mouth of Brazos is a great place to fish even caught tarpon there and a lot of bull reds!Lived in Freeport and caught tons of trout and flounder ! Dang I miss my salt water fishing!

Last edited:

desert rat

dugger, if you lived in Freeport then you know where the hwy 36 bridge crosses the Brazos down there. we take the road that cuts under it and head for the boat ramp, about a mile down there is a pump house on the left and we go down in there to catch shrimp for bait. sometimes we stay there and sometimes cross over the road to the river itself to fish. Laely about all i have been catching are croacker and black drum, but they are all good. I have been trying to find someone out there to show me where the flounder are so i can try my hand at them. I will keep you in mind when i'm out nthere again. i live in the hill country ( Llano) but drive for quality carriers in clute.

dugger

Bronze Member
A good place has always been on the left side on the flats between surf side and San Luis Pass for flounders and specks and reds!on the road from Freeport to Surfside both sides of the road behind all the bait shacks ,in the little coves on the right hand sides and the flats on the left hand sides for flounder and high tides bring in the reds !always had better luck with mud minnows or small finger mullet for flounder ,which can be caught with minnow trap and dog food or a cast net all along there! Did real good around the shrimp boat docks in the shallows too!

desert rat

I went out yesterday (back on the Brazos) wasn't the best conditions and actually didn't expect to catch anything with 15-25 MPH winds. Temp was in mid 50's. threw the cast net awhile and finally caught enough shrimp to start fishing. First one out of the box hit like a big 'un then it took awhile but caught a nice ( but too small speck) caught a few small croackers and was getting ready to pack it in as mosquitoes were coming out and caught this gent. he was my last catch of the day but i returned him to the water for another day. All in all it was just great to be out on the water. going back out this evening to see if i can get a few more goodies for the forums.

L

Larry

Alright DR...come clean...you took that first one off Tom's stringer! lol

desert rat

Naw, i would never do that to Tom, now you on the other hand would never miss 1 little fish. LOL
However that little dude put up a better fight than the drum did

desert rat

Fished the backside of the Brazos R. again Sat. and Sun.
Sat the wind was down and the weather was drizzling off/ on. I threw the cast net for bait for awhile and was catching 6-8 in. specks in groups of 2-4. finally caught some shrimp for bait and caught one fish in 2 hrs of fishing. it was a nice 15-216 in. red drum

Sun. winds 15-20 cold, threw net for an hour caught 2 shrimp. lost one to a bite then lost the other to a 4" croacker ( good trade :) this was over almost another hour. then i kept moving the bait a bit and had a good hit but missed it. checked bait, still there threw it back out . finally got tired of being cold and was getting ready to call it a night (skunked) rod bent and a good fight was on caught a real nice speck.

TO SUM UP THE WEEKEND THE BITE AND FISHING WAS SLOW BUT GREAT AND HAD FUN

desert rat

went out last night even tho the wind was up (about 15-20 mph) caught a few shrimp4-16-13 021.jpg

4-16-13 022.jpg then used a couple to fish with. caught a 18 inch gap head (slapping head, forgot to take pic) shortly afteward i caught the bottom of the river and los my hook and weights

Last edited:
B

Bradley

LOL...well good job anyway dr!! Next time I want some photos of the fish rather than the bait. <><<><