• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Discussion Fishing for carp

Razor

-PROFESSIONAL-
In my place, I heard people go spearing carp.

Although i never tried it, it sounds like something I would like to do.

If you know more, you can add below

J

JoeW

I tried spearing Carp one time in Michigan. Had a cottage on the shore of Lake Michigan and the guy next door loaned me a spare spear and showed me how to do it. Wade in quietly among the reeds and when something moved, thrust or throw the spear at it! The Carp must have been in the weeds spawning or something. I have to say, it was a "different kind of fun". The fish were huge! 15 pounders or more! After a couple hours, we had a pile of eight or ten laying on the beach. As we called it quits, I asked the guy what to do with the fish. He said his smoker was full, so just let the fish lay on the beach. That didn't sit too well with me, but it was his beach! Fish didn't totally go to waste, as for the next three days, the seagulls, dozens of them, feasted all day long on the carcasses and what was left probably washed out the next time a storm blew in. Spearing Carp was a one-time adventure for me, but I didn't like just leaving them lay. Been there once, done that. Speaking for myself, only. You may have an entirely different experience, and that'd be great. BTW- smoked carp is as good as smoked steelhead-- maybe better! Best----- JoeW

fatworm

I can't say that I would ever leave fish out on the beach, but them birds need to eat some protein at least once in a good while. ;)

I've never tried smoked carp. Going to put that on the list for sure!

RAK

Freshwater Angler
In the Columbia River carp fishing is easy. The carp go in small bays and in shallow areas by island. Usually we get a couple of guys and corner the fish. Then you take a spear and stab it at the carp. They are fast fish. Lots of carp get injured but there are so many of them...When the water level rises to your arms, you have to spear from a boat. I like bowing for carp. You don't have to buy those expensive bows for fishing. Guys use normal archery compound bows. The only reason I would spear or bow carp is for that traditional native feel.

Razor

-PROFESSIONAL-
I heard that carp smell really bad when you fry them. Never tried to eat carp but spearing them fish would be really interesting.

tholmes

fish magnet
Back in my (much) younger days, I used to bowfish for carp in the Arkansas River. The river is pretty shallow in most places around here, less that two feet deep. We would wade the river and look for carp foraging in the shallows, and shoot them. Never anything very big, but a lot of fun.

Re: smoked carp - Tried it once, won't be tryin' it again anytime soon.

Tom

i havent ever speared em, but my bow shoots em real nice.just real hard to find a place to get rid of em.we got real imaginative though.zoo's take em for the bears,old ladies in the spring for the gardens,found some oriental guy my buddy works with, he takes a few, boss'trunk,that x-girlfriend who kicked my dog,she still gets a few every year.i like to put em on her roof,that way it takes a few weeks to find. what do you guys do with em?

bass or bass?

i havent ever speared em, but my bow shoots em real nice.just real hard to find a place to get rid of em.we got real imaginative though.zoo's take em for the bears,old ladies in the spring for the gardens,found some oriental guy my buddy works with, he takes a few, boss'trunk,that x-girlfriend who kicked my dog,she still gets a few every year.i like to put em on her roof,that way it takes a few weeks to find. what do you guys do with em?

Down that ex's chimney in the summertime would be a nice surprise. Should take a good long time to find it there. I put a dead road kill skunk down a deserving person's chimney once long ago.

dbarnett1

Bronze Member
We gig them here in Mo. Some guys like to bow fish for them too. they are great deep fried, smoked, and canned.

fisherfanatic

Power Angler

Personally, I'd rather catch a big carp on hook and line, rather than spearing it and discarding it later (carp do taste fairly disgusting if prepared incorrectly).

Below is the link to an article I wrote about carp bait on my website. I think you may find it helpful! ^!

http://fishingzone.zxq.net/The Best Carp Bait (1).pdf

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them! ^!

fisherfanatic

Power Angler

It's a lot more fun to go and fish for them with a rod and reel, but it's your choice... ^!