• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Cork Handle Care

DRMead

Slacker
Hey All,Hope everybody is well. So it's mid-winter,and I started going through my gear just to
go over what I have,and might need for Spring.Noticed that some of the cork handles on a couple of my rigs are a bit dry.Can anyone tell me whats best to care for them,and keep them in good shape?? Any special formulas or treatments best to use?? Thanks a bunch folks.^!

bass or bass?

Baby wipes will clean off dirt & crud from cork without doing any damage. I've read that a small amount of mineral oil applied with a soft cloth and allowed to soak into the cork, then removing the excess with a dry soft cloth will recondition the cork. I've never tried it myself though. My two cents

DRMead

Slacker
Baby wipes will clean off dirt & crud from cork without doing any damage. I've read that a small amount of mineral oil applied with a soft cloth and allowed to soak into the cork, then removing the excess with a dry soft cloth will recondition the cork. I've never tried it myself though. My two cents
B or B,Thanks for the flip.I was thinking some sort of oil initially,but wasn't sure. re:scared
Didn't want to destroy the cork. Thanks again,and I'll keep diggin' ;)

tholmes

fish magnet
I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or the generic equivalent) to clean the cork and U-40 cork sealer to protect it.
U-40 is available from Jann's Netcraft and other outlets. A little goes a long ways and a treatment lasts me for a couple of years.

Tom