• Welcome to Outdoor-Fishing, the ultimate fishing community forum.

Here you can join other anglers by participating in public discussions, uploading your photos, buying and selling in the classifieds, participating in Free Contests and Free Giveaways, A Young Anglers forum for Anglers under the Age of 16 and much, much more! 

Register today for FREE and join the online angler community! If you're not registered, you will not be able to see the rest of our exclusive content! It's easy and it only takes a minute!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Outdoor-Fishing Staff.

Arizona Canal 3-29-15

bass or bass?

Fished the canal where it runs through my neighborhood yesterday. Had a dozen bites and landed only one small channel cat. I need to change hooks for the canal compared to the hooks I use on the local lakes. Had fun though and learned something. :D

AZAllen

Used to fish canals a lot when I lived in El Centro and Brawley CA (grew up in El Centro). The best way always seemed to fish around drops and siphons. Once you get a hit or two, move on. I think we mostly used 2's and 4's in the small canals and sometimes larger, with larger baits in the larger canals.

bass or bass?

Yeah, I use 5/0 circle hooks on the lakes for channels and they were too large for the cats in the canal. Missed 11 of 12 bites. I'm going with #6 trebles next time. ;)

AZAllen

I mostly prefer single hooks for bait and I am also gravitating towards circle hooks. I have found that trebles sometimes get all three in and are a bear to get unhooked but trebles do hold some types bait better.

bass or bass?

I prefer single circles too.
I'm using ribbed plastic french fry type plastic worms and Secret 7 dip bait, so the small trebles should work better for this application. My two cents