Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums » Freshwater Fishing » General Freshwater Fishing Talk » Boats and Motors
Notices

Boats and Motors Here is where all posts can go that are related to Boats and Motors.

Old 12-14-2016   #1
Fish2DMax
Jerry A

Default Why Turn Off the Console Depth Finder

Seriously I need to know because eventually (soon) I am in the market for a new bass boat.

I've been fishing from some very nice boats over the past few years and a troubling recent trend is that they seem to place the same manufacturer unit on both bow and console. Then they can only run a single unit at a time. This is primarily the new Lowrance units we are talking about.

Now I have asked the guys and they tell me that the two units (bow & console) will interfere with each other. There's some IP or wifi connectivity going on between the two and one friend even told me that the front unit will use the transducer from the back unit if he leaves them both on at the same time.

So... are they blowing smoke? Is there really a problem? Do they not know how to use the equipment? The undesirable consequence is that the person in the back of the boat is now fishing blind - not even knowing how deep it is underneath the boat. It gives the boater an extreme unfair advantage over the co-angler.
Old 12-14-2016   #2
solitario lupo
TROUT SEEKER

First off y do u need two on the boat. Second if you can't find the hole with one what makes two so much better. U say your friends are fishing in the same boat and only one person is catching fish seems to me they don't know how to fish in a boat together haha. It's not the unit that caches fish.
solitario lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016   #3
Fish2DMax
Jerry A

Default I'm with ya'

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitario lupo View Post
First off y do u need two on the boat. Second if you can't find the hole with one what makes two so much better. U say your friends are fishing in the same boat and only one person is catching fish seems to me they don't know how to fish in a boat together haha. It's not the unit that caches fish.
No this seems to be a problem when they run one up front on the trolling motor and another on the console, for when we are running around on the big motor. From the co-angler position you are literally fishing blind not knowing even what depth of water is under the boat.

Two finders in the boat are for two distinct purposes. One for driving the boat (console position) and one for fishing with the electric trolling motor (bow mount). What it seems is that in making the units smarter with interconnecting wifi and the like they've shot themselves in the foot because you can't run them both at the same time.

On my boat I have a Lowrance on the trolling motor and a Hummingbird on the console and they are both on the entire time the boat is on the water - thus providing much needed information to both anglers fishing in the boat at the same time. By using different manufacturers gear I am not getting the same frequency into the water (on the different transducers) or whatever is going on with the new high dollar units.
Old 12-14-2016   #4
solitario lupo
TROUT SEEKER

I would email them there might be a way to change the signals.
solitario lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016   #5
bass or bass?

Looks like you've already found the solution by using two different manufacturer's units.