Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums » Freshwater Fishing » General Freshwater Fishing Talk » Daily Fishing News
Notices

Daily Fishing News Got a good News article? Share and discuss them here! (Your article may be featured on our home page)

Old 09-25-2014   #1
Fish2DMax
Jerry A

Post NOAA sees big increase in Bering Sea pollock survey abundance estimates

Seattle, WA — Preliminary fish survey results released today by NOAA Fisheries scientists indicate a nearly 60-percent increase in walleye pollock survey biomass in the Bering Sea. The announcement, made at the North Pacific Fishery Management Council Groundfish Plan Team meeting in Seattle, is good news for the country’s largest fishery by volume.

http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/news...lock092414.htm

What's in it for me? Fish sticks for everyone!

The only odd part to me was that "the boost in biomass does not necessarily mean a significant increase in total allowable catch for 2015". I read that as even though there are significantly more fish available the managers are not going to allow them to be caught... ???
Old 09-25-2014   #2
Fish2DMax
Jerry A

I figured it out by re-reading the article. What was sampled were yearling stock for lack of a better term. They say in the body of the article, "conditions bode well for the ecosystem and fishery in the near term". So good news all around!