Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums Freshwater Fishing General Freshwater Fishing Talk
Notices

General Freshwater Fishing Talk A friendly forum intended for anglers of any skill level for discussing anything and everything related to freshwater fishing. Any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Old 09-29-2010   #1
PaJNS
Executive Administrator/Owner

Thanked 1,623 Times in 872 Posts
Default Federal Ban on all lead in fishing tackle.

here is the link.....http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing...cnt=6089&ctb28

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and....HE WILL STEAL YOUR FAVORITE SPOT."

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Outdoor-Fishing THE Place To Talk Fishing and a Great Place To Be. Spread the Word!!
Spread the WORD!!

Find more about Weather in Butler, PA
Click for weather forecast
PaJNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #2
JoeW

I've been following that bill for a couple months and don't like what I see! Based on a lot of "non-scientific" data. Something like- they round up 100 dead ducks from around ponds and lakes. Exam them and find that 25 of them have lead sinkers in their stomachs. And then conclude that 25% of all ducks die of lead poisoning! There is too much free money floating around for anyone that supports a cause! I won't rant, but a ban on lead for fishing! Going to change how you weight your line and fish jigs! Watch out for this one.

Oh, just remembered- they want to expand that bill to include brass in fishing lures, too! Believ it or not! Best---- JoeW

http://www.panthermartin.com/EPAFishingLureBan.aspx

Last edited by JoeW; 10-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2010   #3
Harvey

Default lead

Giving the state of our economy that we are in...this doese'nt suprise me in the least...they can't even run their own congress.....just what would a congressman know about fishing.???????? Maybe their lobbyist told them lead was bad so they can push another company from China and put more money in the congressmans back pocket!!
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #4
RAK
Freshwater Angler

Taking lead away is terrible.

I won't be able to make my own jigs and sinkers for fishing. The DO-IT company will have to close....
RAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #5
Razor
-PROFESSIONAL-

So if they ban lead and brass, what are we going to use? rocks?
Old 10-20-2010   #6
JoeW

Default OK- my conclusion...

We're living in an era of "causes". Come up with a "good" cause and the government will make money available to fund it! Makes the politicians "look good" that they supported funding for a "cause"!! Two of the most popular "causes" are the Environment and Health. So what would be a better "double cause" than to study "lead shot/fishing sinkers in the environment and their health issues"!! Wonder how much of our tax dollars went into studying those 100 dead ducks and the printing of their 1,000 pg report! Now don't get me wrong, there are many good causes that deserve Federal support, but this is certainly not one of them! Spend the gov't money chasing the chemical polluters of the Niagara River! Oops- that would loose politicians a lot of contributions! Lead from fishing sinkers-- I still bite on my split shot with my teeth just like my Daddy showed me years ago and I don't see any ill effects (except maybe two of my teeth being ground down smaller than the others! And I still keep a couple spare split shot in my mouth, ready for instant use!) LOL!

Alternatives to lead sinkers/jigs? I seen Titanium. Try melting that down for molds! And expensive! Rocks for sinkers? Yep probably OK but they would have to be rocks native to the water you're fishing, not imported! The gov't would probably have to hire "Sinker Wardens"! Be interesting to see how tackle companies would make "rock split shot"! LOL, and have a good day. Sorry for the rant, but this issue is a pet peeve of mine! Best---- JoeW

Last edited by JoeW; 10-20-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2010   #7
JoeW

Default Along the same line...

Here's a grea example of wasteful gov't spending. I guess it's been proven false- but all fiction has some basis in fact! Hilarious!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/cattleguards.asp

best---- JoeW
Old 10-21-2010   #8
lip ripper
Bass Tracker

I think that they are taking this way too far. Ok if or when they do this what will be the replacement? Would it be tungsten? It is heavy but really dense and hard to work with. I would have a lot of broken teeth.

-There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot! That's why I use a boat!
lip ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #9
PaJNS
Executive Administrator/Owner

Thanked 1,623 Times in 872 Posts

EPA Denies Petition to Ban Lead in Fishing Tackle

Here is the link to the story. http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wiresto...2056193&page=1

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and....HE WILL STEAL YOUR FAVORITE SPOT."

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Outdoor-Fishing THE Place To Talk Fishing and a Great Place To Be. Spread the Word!!
Spread the WORD!!

Find more about Weather in Butler, PA
Click for weather forecast
PaJNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #10
fish-hook
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip ripper View Post
It is heavy but really dense and hard to work with. I would have a lot of broken teeth.
Better start eatin' them Wheaties!
fish-hook is offline   Reply With Quote