Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums » Freshwater Fishing » General Freshwater Fishing Talk » Daily Fishing News
Notices

Daily Fishing News Got a good News article? Share and discuss them here! (Your article may be featured on our home page)

Old 05-19-2014   #1
Fish2DMax
Jerry A

Question Leader Material

When using a leader what do you prefer. By this I mean that in using a leader I want something to stand up to some abrasion and punishment but nothing too big or stiff if that makes sense.

Saltwater: My last trip to Florida we had rigged up the 80# Tuna Rods with a 50# Mono and used a 30# 100% Fluorocarbon leader for bottom fishing. I think it was Seaguar® Fluoro Premier™ Fluorocarbon Leader Material. This worked really well for us.

Freshwater: Transition to my day last Saturday and I'm using 12# Sufix Siege Camo (Camoflouge) line my son had run down to the bottom of the spool - which is typically the line I use for leader material (whatever is down to the bottom of the spool). This is straight mono and had a bunch of stretch to it. The stretch probably worked in my favor but as the day progressed I was thinking how a 100% Fluorocarbon leader might work. My application is the standard Carolina Rig with a 15# Berkeley Big Game main line and 12# camo line as a leader below the sinker fished on a big open Abu baitcaster reel and a MH Freshwater 6'6" Rod - used for Black Bass. This is relatively clear water so would a Seaguar RED LABEL as a Fluorocarbon leader have worked (less stretch, etc.)?

Seaguar® Fluoro Premier™ doesn't come in anything below 20# I believe.

Please let me know what you think, what works best for you, etc. I am interested in hearing the pro's & cons, doesn't matter whether you are typically fresh or saltwater (I'll scale accordingly) and most of all I value your input. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2014   #2
barresi
Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer

Using a leader is an absolute must in saltwater, with that said I mostly use Seaguar flurocarbon. When I want to get technical, test size depends on what I'm fishing for and what technique I'm using. But you can get by nicely with 30lb test leader for most fish in my waters. When money is tight, I opt for fin strike mono leader. As most know fluro is much more abrasion resistant and it doesn't float like mono does. When I'm bass fishing (freshwater), I usually tie direct, unless I'm using braid. Then I'll opt for a few feet of topshot mono or fluro, again depending on the technique I'm using.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing
barresi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barresi For This Useful Post:
Fish2DMax (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014   #3
bass or bass?

I only use leaders for my catfishing. On my channel cat rig I use 20 pound test Berkley Big Cat mono main line with 17 pound test Stren mono leaders. On my flathead rig I've been using BPS Magibraid Offshore Angler braided Dacron in 80 pound test with 50 pound test Berkley Big Game mono leaders, but 2 weeks ago during a tournament I lost a potential prize winning fish when that leader material broke. So now I'm going to 90 pound test nylon coated braided stainless steel leaders on my flathead rigs.
The Following User Says Thank You to bass or bass? For This Useful Post:
Fish2DMax (05-22-2014)
Old 05-19-2014   #4
XtopwaterkingX

For a Carolina rig I don't like fluoro because it sinks, the mono helps keep it floating along. That's one of the few times I like a mono leader. In general I use Seaguar, Gamma, or Pline fluoro. The actual fluoro leader spools you can buy seem to be a smaller diameter per lb test than a standard fluoro main line spool but its also more expensive.
XtopwaterkingX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XtopwaterkingX For This Useful Post:
Fish2DMax (05-22-2014)
Old 05-20-2014   #5
solitario lupo
TROUT SEEKER

Im just wondering why u guys put on a leader when using braid. I havent been using braid for to long and i dont really care for it but ive been tying my hooks straight on the braid and been having alot of luck with it.
solitario lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #6
bass or bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitario lupo View Post
Im just wondering why u guys put on a leader when using braid. I havent been using braid for to long and i dont really care for it but ive been tying my hooks straight on the braid and been having alot of luck with it.
A clear leader is absolutely necessary on the lakes here as the clarity is normally at least 10 feet. Right now at Lake Pleasant the clarity is 25 feet. If you fished braid with no leader here you'd haul water all day.
Old 05-21-2014   #7
barresi
Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer

Not only is water clarity a factor, but braids resistance to abrasion isn't all that great. Another thing, not all knots work well with braid. Braid has many pro's and a few con's. I love the zero stretch and sensitivity it offers, you feel everything and setting the hook is a lot easier. Braid on a spinning reel, will give you more casting distance because of the smaller diameter and zero line memory. I just happen to use a leader with braid because I want a line that the fish can't see and something that will hold up a little better to abrasions.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing
barresi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barresi For This Useful Post:
XtopwaterkingX (05-24-2014)
Old 05-21-2014   #8
dugger
Bronze Member

Well said Bubs!those are the reason I use braid and the reason I use a floro leader!

Fishing is God's way of saying he loves us!

Wishing I was Fishing
dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dugger For This Useful Post:
barresi (05-22-2014), Fish2DMax (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014   #9
fanofthereds
 photo 168509_840360_t_zps98b03bf1.jpg

I use braid for all my reels, but I choose my leader depending on what I am fishing. Topwater I use Flourocarbon, plastics, spinners and cranks I use mono, and for most else, I don't even use leaders unless I'm facing some toothy critters, then steel all the way.

Even if you've been fishing for three hours and haven't gotten anything except poison ivy and sunburn, you're still better off than the worm.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Find more about Weather in San Francisco, CA
Click for weather forecast
fanofthereds is offline   Reply With Quote