Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums » Freshwater Fishing » General Freshwater Fishing Talk
Notices

General Freshwater Fishing Talk A friendly forum intended for anglers of any skill level for discussing anything and everything related to freshwater fishing. Any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Old 01-28-2015   #1
fanofthereds
 photo 168509_840360_t_zps98b03bf1.jpg

Default Colors, Are they what we make them out to be?

Here is an interesting article. I'm not sure if I agree whole heartedly with his conclusion at the end, but the basic premise and assistance in choosing colors based on water clarity and cloud cover.

http://www.fix.com/blog/view-from-be...es-underwater/

Even if you've been fishing for three hours and haven't gotten anything except poison ivy and sunburn, you're still better off than the worm.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Find more about Weather in San Francisco, CA
Click for weather forecast
fanofthereds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanofthereds For This Useful Post:
bass or bass? (01-28-2015), Fish2DMax (01-29-2015), pknapinski (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015   #2
solitario lupo
TROUT SEEKER

A lot of people swear by this. Ive been looking for stuff like this and by far this is the best chart i saw. a pro once said he never uses red unless its in shallow clear water. Thanks for sharing.
solitario lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solitario lupo For This Useful Post:
bass or bass? (01-28-2015), fanofthereds (01-28-2015), Fish2DMax (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015   #3
Fish2DMax
Jerry A

Smile I honestly don't have a fishy eye

I believe I can quickly debunk the myth. I have a good friend that used to taunt me by asking if black was the collection of all colors or the absence of all colors - think black hole and Star Trek. Basically a white sheet of paper is "bright" to us because with proper lighting it is able to reflect all of the available color spectrum. So what he was saying and what the article is stressing is how the wavelength of colors in the "human" visible spectrum relates to absorption, reflection and refraction, etc. underwater. BTW - fan, nice article.

First and foremost to qualify this discussion on merit we must assume that a fish eye operates exactly as the human eye does. Remember 100% of the lures are sold to anglers, not to the fish... you've heard that one.

In the article they provide a general disclaimer pertaining to water clarity conditions - "The precise rate at which this loss of color occurs varies depending on the intensity of the sunlight, whether the sun is directly overhead or low on the horizon, the amount of cloud cover, as well as the clarity and color of the water itself, and the presence of any suspended matter such as weed or plankton." This in itself says that things aren't always what they seem and conditions are always changing. But the more we know the better prepared we''ll be, right? Remember the Bass Professor Doug Hannon and the Color C-Lector? This is what that device was trying to predict - which primary and secondary colors worked best in the water clarity and light conditions you have at hand.

It is a fun topic to discuss the flip side of this is that in the deep dark recesses of the lake what color does red, for instance, become? This comes into play when a drop shot angler tells me that Morning Dawn (pink) is the only color he can get them to hit and he's fishing 45-60 feet deep. It's not pink at that depth but then again I've got a human eye.

Exhibit B: Mepps used to print a page in their catalog that tried to show the different colors in different, I'll call them lenses. I believe I posted that here once upon a time but here's a link to tie it to the article fans provided http://www.mepps.com/fishing-article...hat-you-get/77

The last part that I think fan was referring to is lure size, shape, motion and vibration (lateral line). Now if we can agree that the fish eye is different from my human eye then it is conceivable that the fishy eye is well adapted to its environment. Bass Pros will tell you that the fish can "see" perhaps 3 times farther than you think he/she can. So, if I can reliably judge water clarity by seeing a white bait 8 feet deep then this means that with the combination of the tools that a fish has at its disposal it has the ability to "see" (and feel) the bait from as far as 24 feet away. I've seen active bass in Lake Lanier come racing out from under a dock to hit a spinnerbait 20 feet away - with water clarity in the 8 foot range. Sure, he felt it too but he also had the incentive to get to it before the other guy did (Spotted Bass are pack animals ). The feel part takes into account that the water is 5 times more dense than air and theoretically sound waves travel 5 times faster and 5 times farther in optimum conditions underwater. Wow! Yes, I once chased submarines in the Navy... but that was saltwater, not drinking water as baressi reminds us!
fanofthereds (01-29-2015)