Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums Ľ Fishing Equipment Ľ Fishing Gear
Notices

Fishing Gear Discuss, share and ask about tackle, rods and reels, gadgets, tools and other fishing related gear.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013   #21
LeroyB
Silver Member

I took the reel apart and cleaned it up. The drag was packed with grease. Used acetone to clean off the fiber drag washer. Put a tiny bit of silicon drag grease on it. Still done the same thing. Took it to a local fishing shop where a guy does reel repair and left it with him. He said he could fix it and that he never puts any grease on the drag at all, said it defeated the purpose of the drag. Got it back and it still does the same thing. Guess this would be the perfect opportunity to get new upgrade bearings and carbontex drag washer and see what happens. It reels smoothly and casts great though. Think ill put some drag grease on it first and see what happens. 😳
LeroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #22
barresi
Moderator & Outdoor-Fishing Salt Pro Staffer

Hey Leroy...When the reel repair guy said he could fix it, what exactly did he do? Just curious...did he replace the drag discs or just clean off the silicone that you had put on? There's two schools of thought on putting grease on drag discs. One is, a little grease will make your drag a lot smoother, but you will loose some of the stopping power (minimal in my opinion) and the other is no grease, bone dry, which will leave your drag rough, not as smooth but with complete stopping power. The bad thing about going the no grease route is, big fish can heat up your drag discs, causing a melt down. I'm talking about big fish, such as your Muskies etc, etc...Being that you put acetone on your discs to clean them up the first time, I would discard them, and buy new discs. Acetone, although is a good cleaner..it's not too friendly on fiber/plastic material. It actually weakens those materials. Acetone works great on metal surfaces. I would recommend and use lighter fluid. Ronsonol or Zippo. Lighter fluid will take the old grease and grime right off in a heart beat and not damage or weaken plastic or carbon fiber parts.

Freshwater is for drinking, Saltwater is for fishing
barresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #23
LeroyB
Silver Member

The repair guy put a new drag disk in it, but didn't lube it. I'll lube it before I do anything else.
Old 04-29-2013   #24
Pike Bait

I always thought I had more mechanical aptitude than the average tool but having a camera set on macro and using it before disassembly helps.
Pike Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #25
Larry

Cool

I fall into that "average tool" category...always digging out of a self induced disaster.

Last edited by Larry; 05-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #26
Pike Bait

That was hilarious Mo! You don't know how many times I wished I used the camera before working on my cars over the years. My brother -in-law always has extra parts at the end of a job, haha.
Pike Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #27
LeroyB
Silver Member

When cleaning and lubing the bearings I'm assuming that the shield has to be removed to clean them. Is it possible to put the shield back on these bearings or can I put them back in with one shield off. I've never been able to replace the shield on an industrial/ machinery bearing unless it was plastic. I always destroyed it taking it out. I know it only takes a couple of drops of light oil to lube them, but how do they stay lubed with one seal off.
Thanks🐟
Old 08-22-2013   #28
Mariner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyB View Post
When cleaning and lubing the bearings I'm assuming that the shield has to be removed to clean them. Is it possible to put the shield back on these bearings or can I put them back in with one shield off. I've never been able to replace the shield on an industrial/ machinery bearing unless it was plastic. I always destroyed it taking it out. I know it only takes a couple of drops of light oil to lube them, but how do they stay lubed with one seal off.
Thanks🐟

They will stay lubed for a good while. Just relube them as needed.

Great thread! I love maintaining my Ambassadeur reels. Sometimes I have to buy an old one from someone, just to have one to repair/clean. Mine are all in perfect order.

I think I have a reel maintenance addiction.

Would love to see a real maintenance and repair section here on O-F.
Mariner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #29
LeroyB
Silver Member

I finally took the time to get into the reel and fix it. I put carbontex drag washers in it and the drag works great now. I also installed new Abec5 bearings in it and noticed that the spacer on the left side of the spool shaft was bad. I replaced it. I removed the seals in the bearings and put 2 small drops of oil in each one. It casts great, better than before. I had to pull 2 brake weights out so it wouldn't backlash. When I get used to it I may be able to push them back in. Time will tell. I also put carbontex drags in my other 2 Curados . Also put Abec 7 stainless and Abec 7 ceramics in them. I was curious to see if they really made any difference or if it is just all hype. From what I can tell so far, just casting down the street with a 1/4oz weight, they all seem to be pretty close in casting distance. I may have gained about ten yards with the 2 reals with the7 bearings. I was using all M/H 6'6' rods, Diawa on the 5 bearing, Falcon Low Rider on the 7 stainless and St. Croix on the Ceramic 7 bearing reel. I am going to switch out the low rider with a Cara and see if it makes a difference.
When I first started posting in this forum I was asking for help on how to throw a baitcaster and not get terrible backlash, you guys helped me a lot on that. I'm much more confident now and can enjoy fishing with them. Now I have to get the flipping/pitching/skipping thing down. I think the skipping may be impossible without going back to my trusty old zebco 33.
Thanks for all your help friends.
LeroyB

Last edited by LeroyB; 08-23-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyB For This Useful Post:
bass or bass? (08-24-2013), fanofthereds (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013   #30
Larry

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyB View Post
Thanks🐟
Just put a drop or two of reel oil on those bearings and when they turn they will suck it right in. Reel oil is very light...it will be drawn right into the bearing. if you're going to try skipping...try that with a spinning reel first. It is a bitch to do with a baitcaster.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote