Go Back   Outdoor-Fishing Forums Ľ Fishing Equipment Ľ Fishing Gear
Notices

Fishing Gear Discuss, share and ask about tackle, rods and reels, gadgets, tools and other fishing related gear.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013   #11
Larry

Cool

Just moving this thread up...with spring coming...everyone needs to have those reels ready. Out on the water is no time to find out you have a problem.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
alk402 (04-06-2013)
Old 02-14-2013   #12
Bassman1

good call mo im going to teach my friend how to clean all his reels today. ill clean mine a few times a year. got to get my moneys worth out of them.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.
Bassman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013   #13
bass or bass?

I'm with you Bassman. I keep all my reels protected from dust & dirt between fishing trips, and keep them in like new condition. You should see my fishing partner's! They collect dirt in an open shed and NEVER see any maintainance!
Old 02-15-2013   #14
Bassman1

yeah thats how my friend is. doesn't take care of any of his gear. i got him into kayak fishing last year and he broke his hand in july and his yak is still sitting outside of his house. its like why spend the money. haha and it's funny because for whatever reason, any thing i buy for fishing he will get the same thing or something more expensive to try to one up me. (i still catch bigger and more fish)haha he picked up a nice lowrance fish finder spring of last year. and it is still sitting in the box.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.
Bassman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013   #15
pknapinski

Great project for those cold winter days or nights I also will change line and check rod eyes at the same time can save a headache later in the season when you need that lucky rod.
pknapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #16
LeroyB
Silver Member

Hey guys,
I picked up a Shimanno Curado CU 200 today, actually 3 for $60ea. They all cast well but the drag on one of them jerks as the line comes out. In your experience do you think the drag just needs cleaning and a drop of oil on it, or is there more to it than I know right now.
I also purchased a St. Croix 6'6" MH, a Team Diawa 6'6" Wormin/Jiggin- Larry Nixon, a 6'6" MH Ugly Stick Lite Pro rods. Also couldn't pass up a spinnerbait box with 41 spinnerbaits in it. Has some cool lookin spinners in it. Got all for $ 320.00 I think I came out ok.
Yea ,, I know , I went crazy,, all I was going to get was 2 reels, but for the price I just couldn't stop. But,, I'm not buying any more stuff now, for a long time! If I do anything I'll just have to trade up. Anyway, all advice is appreciated. 😁
LeroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #17
Larry

Cool

Hmm...not sure if the drag is the problem Leroy...sound more like a spool bearing is kinking as the line comes out. I would start by cleaning and lubing those spool bearings, maybe that will clear up the problem.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #18
LeroyB
Silver Member

Ok,, Thanks, will do !
Old 04-11-2013   #19
tholmes
fish magnet

If the jerking happens when the reel is in free-spool, it's not the drag. But if it occurs when pulling line out while the spool is engaged, it most likely is the drag. Take the drag stack apart and clean all of the washers, apply a light coating of Shimano (or Cal's) drag grease, re-assemble and you should be good to go!

Tom
Old 04-11-2013   #20
LeroyB
Silver Member

It is jerking when the spool is engaged. I'll pick up the grease today, was at academy yesterday and forgot to get it. I will be busy the next few days so I probably won't get to do it right away. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.